natural carbonation in a keg...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As you wish.

http://www.********************/brewing-methods/beer-serving-oxygen-ingress/
Yes thank you - I have in the past read the sermons from the church of LODO, but it is always good to review them. Nonetheless: I was not requesting mathematical justification for the viewpoint that ONLY natural carbonation is acceptable process. I was seeking that indisputable irrefutable PROOF that you possess that clearly demonstrates that I CAN TASTE THE DIFFERENCE. You very clearly stated this is FACT and you have proof. Now I admit to being a neophyte! I have only been brewing since 1985, and have been kegging since 89 or 90. And I have and do naturally carb a number of brews and have four such out there in the shop perking along right now. I don't actually know how much beer I have made, but I do brew almost weekly and pretty well have since around 94 or so. So it is probably a few gallons. And I can say that I REALLY don't see spit for difference in perceived oxidation between natural and forced carb. I sense a difference in mouthfeel. AND, I find an acid bite somewhat noticeable in some styles when forced - That really fades and disappears by week two. But oxidation? Sorry Bubba. Just not feeling it. I am sorry you don't want to hear the blah blah - but until you produce that PROOF of what I AM TASTING - is is just so much Blah blah blah to my ears.

NOW - I do not dispute the math. Nor do I doubt your sincere interest in producing your best brew!!!What I dispute was the rather aggressive assertion that YOU KNOW what everyone else is tasting when they drink. And the not so veiled assertion that anyone who disagrees with you is lying.

Obviously, Die Beerery can speak for himself. But, I would ask if you have created wort with a low oxygen process to match with the natural or forced carbonation? For me, the difference is only there IF the wort was made in a way that protected the very flavors that go away in oxidation. I don't want to turn this into a LODO battle, but this thread is about naturally carbonating a keg.

I have been brewing hefeweizen for 15+ years. Tried all kinds of different techniques. Stumbled upon low oxygen a year or two ago and slowly incorporated the process. I started with just the natural carbonation, then moved to only pre-boiling brew water, then to the whole process. The hefes were always good, but lacking compared to the beers I had in Germany. The first batch I made with only the pre-boiling suddenly had some of the flavor that was missing. A fresh malt flavor. Once I incorporated the rest the beers are much brighter along with a lot of aromatic quality.

All of this to say - try it. Seasoned brewers should notice the positive changes right away. It may be a point of argument but Low OX does seriously improve beers. But it is a two part process, hot side & cold side together.

Now hold up, your bias is showing.

You stated:
"I am somewhat confused here. You are saying that if I ferment in a sealed SS vessel, do a closed transfer to a naturally purged sealed keg, and attach my CO2 tank at 12 psi for a week to ten days and then serve, I have now oxidized my beer? And you have indisputable irrefutable scientific evidence to back that up?"

I then showed you said scientific evidence. Based on... Scientific evidence, and backed up via cited sources.

Then you say a bunch of nonsensical biased stuff about taste, and your impression that just because you do something for a long time its right, or its good. Nothing scientific at all, and all about your preference.

Then you say:
"NOW - I do not dispute the math."

So, you asked for the science, I provided the science, you believe the science, then you spin this about taste, to bypass the fact you were wrong about the science? Did I miss something?

Never once did I bring in taste to this, as taste is SUBJECTIVE, you did, when you lost about the science. I don't talk in subjective, I talk in science. Checkmate.

Ok, this thread has moved quite a ways from the OP's original question. Time to stop arguing about LoDO here - we have a dedicated sub-forum for those discussions. Any further LoDO discussion will be removed from this thread.

doug293cz
HBT Moderator

Last edited:
Get a SPUNDit. Excellent, purpose-built, well-engineered product from a private seller on Ebay who makes them.

I am looking into this...do you ever use the auxiliary port, back of the gauge?

1589817167162.png

Back