National Homebrew Day May 1........

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewagentjay

Reaction score
So what you brewing Saturday May 1st?

I'm trying to figure out what I want to brew that day open to suggestions.

Thanks.:ban::rockin::mug:

Cool...........I'm thinking I'm gonna go with my Irish Stout as I'm almost out of it and I really love it........I guess I should do an American Ale......

So is there an American Stout?

Breakfast Stout clone. We'll see how it goes. And if I get enough people over, I will brew the official BBD recipe as well. Or I may just brew that on the day. Decisions, decisions.

I've got a Pilsner recipe formulated that I'm going to give a try. On a side note, future business partner wanted to see if I could actually formulate my own recipe. Wish me luck!

Holy Crap, that's awesome.

My girlfriend's dad works at a BP plant and gets long changes every month, so they have a long change dinner once a month as well. May 1st is going to be a crawfish boil, and I planned on bringing a case of my homebrew to share with everyone. Now I have a reason!

I'm thinking I might give Edwort's Haus Pale Ale a shot.

You can't go wrong with Edwort's Haus Pale Ale. It's always on tap at my house. I have a co-worker that I fill a growler every time I have a new batch ready (he want's more, but that's all I'm willing to give up).

How does Edwort's Haus Pale Ale taste? Can you give me something similar that I might have had?

I had no idea May 1st was National Homebrew Day, but it just so happens that the first beer I have kegged will be ready that day, so tapping it and having some friends over seems like a fitting tribute.

Care to post the recipe?

For 2.5 Gallons:
5lbs Marris Otter
1.5oz EKG @ 120 minutes
1.0oz EKG @ 70 minutes
1.5oz EKG @ 50 minutes
1oz EKG dry hop
Thames Valley II

Mash 1:1 @ 150 for 70 minutes.

Rack in to secondary after 1 day in primary, carbonate by krausening or by racking to a keg early if that is your thing. I'm going to make a little extra wort and add that in at bottling time to carbonate.

It's not the exact recipe from the book, but a kind of simplified one with less hops. The original recipe uses two boils, the hops from the first boil are placed in a hop back and the second wort is ran over it.

Last year, I brewed my first ever batch of beer. It was an Irish Red. I'm going to re-brew that recipe, but as an AG version, so it will be ready to take to the beach house this June (just like last year). :mug:

Sadly, this year's Brew Day official recipes don't appeal to me. I'll do one of my own instead.

I've named my entire menu of beers, but haven't formulated them all yet. I'll try to knock off one of them on May 1st - probably either an ESB or an Oatmeal Stout.

I'll be brewing a Honey Jalepeno Pale Ale. If it turns out, I'm going to enter in a best of show comp. with the winning brewer getting to brew the recipe on a 15bbl system and have the beer served at the brewhouse's tavern. I hope it turns out!

AHS Texas Red. Brewing for a couple neighbors that were wondering if I was cooking meth in my backyard :)
Sharing some Pale Ale and Irish Stout as I brew.

I checked out the officals..I'd like to do the rocktoberfest but I haven't lagered yet nor do I have a lager setup yet..........So I'm gonna go with the Scottish Export 80 Shilling All Grain to honor Greg Noonan, which seems like a great reason to give this brew a shot as I have never had a scottish beer and being that I'm part scott might as well.......

I'm going to be brewing a batch of Texas Kolsch on May 1st.

Can't wait!

It'll also be the first beer I'm kegging for my new 4-tap kegerator!

I'm going to be brewing a batch of Texas Kolsch on May 1st.

Can't wait!

It'll also be the first beer I'm kegging for my new 4-tap kegerator!

Hmm. That sounds like an idea. I've been wanting to brew something in honor of our Li'l Cowboy. Share the recipe?

So I'm gonna go with the Scottish Export 80 Shilling All Grain to honor Greg Noonan, which seems like a great reason to give this brew a shot as I have never had a scottish beer and being that I'm part scott might as well.......
Can you elaborate? Is there a connection between that beer and GN? I have never brewed a Scottish ale and my family's roots are from somewhere on those islands (I think Wales more than anything but w/e). This is a good idea and I may do the same. I've got a ****load of Golden Promise too.

It's the first time I'll be able to say I'm a homebrewer on that celebration day! It so happens May 1 will be my next free weekend to brew. I may do my first wheat brew.

There is an HBT get-together in Rockford, MI on that day. Crazy Random Happenstance?

I probably wont' be brewing, but I will be eating, drinking, and watching/helping others brew.

I live in Louisville, so I'll be drinking at a Derby party. I may keg my alt tonight so it's ready by then.

Can you elaborate? Is there a connection between that beer and GN? I have never brewed a Scottish ale and my family's roots are from somewhere on those islands (I think Wales more than anything but w/e). This is a good idea and I may do the same. I've got a ****load of Golden Promise too.

Yes the scottish ale is a AHA Brew Day 2010 recipe. There are three to pick from this one is to honor him.....check out this site:

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/pages/events/national-homebrew-day/recipes

Both National Homebrew Day and International Workers' Day?! I wonder what it would take to get my birthday changed to May 1st?

Just create your own brew day holiday on your b-day......

So I here by make August 24 (my birthday) Bama Brew Day!!!!!!!!

I'm going to be rocking out a PB Cup porter. Should be interesting since it'll be the first running of the recipe and I'll only have like 4-5hrs of sleep going into it.

I am mulling over two possible recipes, A strawberry blonde, or maybe just brew up my house hefe. leaning towards the blonde to keep the brewday simple, it will be my first attempt brewing at an event. I would choose one of the 3 recipes, but I am not a big fan of American wheats, and I am all out of lagering space.

Back