National Homebrew Day Giveaway!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I started brewing 7 years ago, I was able to get three of my friends hooked on brewing. After about three brewing sessions with me I helped them build their cooler mash tuns and start all-grain brewing. They have been brewing for a little over a year now and they are trying to get their other friends to brew. Gotta grow the hobby as much as possible.

Brewing allowed me to take an unused, outdated piece of history and turn it into something more than it ever was:
whW9d27.jpg

OsLkWLs.jpg

QydV2Nz.jpg

yBFZWk6.jpg

I've learned that sometimes the simplest is the best. Starting brewing a few years ago I found myself adding this pot and adding this container and adding this tool/device. After finally realizing that many of these "additions" were simply slowing me down, I boiled it down (pun not intended) to the most simple of implements - Mash Tun, Pot, Spoon, Bucket etc.

I enjoy the "craft" much more now

I did that too!

My brewing experience has been amazing. I have gotten at lest 3 people started in all grain brewing in the past year. I started with a 1 Gallon kit that only lasted me for 2 brews. I picked up a 6.5 gallon Carboy from a flea market for $12 and it was on from that point. I have made a fair share of mistakes that include the breaking of my 6.5 gallon due to science and extracting my wort by hand from my mash tun due to clogging of my mesh. I have used homebrew talk silently for some time now to help filter out my crazy ideas from the practical ones. I have learned so much from the site and the members are always helpful. It is uncommon for a day to pass with someone answering my questions or providing me with assistance. Hope everyone feels that any of my assistance provided is helpful. Happy brewing and as always, Cheers!

I reply to HBT threads too! Ok, most of the time because I'm a smartass, but occasionally, I'm a helpful smartass.

I've brewed with a few people over the years, teaching them the Tao of the Brewday. I don't think any of them are still into it, except for a beekeeper friend who makes mead. My dogs are really the only ones who still listen to me talk about brewing.

I fed my sister's dog beer once. It wasn't homebrew though. I also haven't talked to any dogs lately, but...

Me too!

Can't take credit, but have documented 30 min mash and overnight mash BIAB for the community.

Granted, both of these have been done... but it's always nice to see it documented for others who are nervous about giving it a shot.

I can't take credit for much either! :rockin:

I've documented my own way of doing biab on the cheap.

Taught a lot of finnish friends that beer doesn't have to be cheap, or tasteless...

I teach homebrewing courses at a community college for community education. CEC 16200 Introduction to Beer Brewing and CEC 16260 Introduction to All Grain Brewing.

http://www.kirtland.edu/kirtland-all-grain-brewing.html

http://www.kirtland.edu/kirtland-beer-brewing-class.html

I'd surely love to wear the HBT Tshirt or work shirt during the next course and hand out any swag Austin or TX want to pass my way.

I've also been able to spend quality time with Homer, Yooper, and a stripper pole. That's got to count for something.

The countertop Brutus lives in the garage. I need a bigger garage, or a smaller hoard. Meat is smoked here, too.

image.jpg

I have 30 gallons of 4 year old afpelwein in storage.

Maybe 5 years old.

Taken Brother in law under the wing to brewing. I'm at the point now where I'm only going to make malty beers so if he wants a homebrew IPA he has to make it himself.

I started an online group for friends who have dabbled with, considered dabbling with, or heard of dabbling with homebrewing. It's got a lot of folks who don't live close enough to come brew with me. They don't post much but they all read everything I put out there for them, including many links back to advice & experiences on this site. They've got the itch, I'm working on forcing them to scratch.

I've also hosted multiple Teach a Friend to Brew days at home showing people how to brew all grain. One even got to experience the joy of a stuck sparge on an oatmeal stout.

I started brewing in December of 2009 with a Mr. Beer I received for Christmas. I have done some extract. I brewed in a bag. I now have a Blichmann Top Tier and mash in a cooler.
Oh, and I have opened my own homebrew supply shop.
I don't think my wife is going to sign off on much more brewing stuff.

I have been a silent observer to this site for a little while now. I started with Mr. Beer about 2 years ago and now do partial mash. Eventually I will jump into all grain but right now I am happy experimenting with partial mash. I have a list of recipes that will probably take me a year to brew, and I add 1 every few days from looking at this site and others. I have gotten my neighbor into the hobby, and we have started splitting ingredients, which makes for more variety of beer, less money.
I share my brews every chance I get. I always appreciate the feedback and will spend as much time as anyone will give me to discuss homebrewing. My wife enjoys tasting what I make, but is not a beer drinker so I have started venturing into wine thanks to Ed Wort's Apfelwine and what looks to be an awesome mango wine I found on the recipe page. Thankfully, every time I look to expand and think the wife will get pissed, she has given me the Ok.

Hey Austin...I would like to submit PJ and Kal as two who have done more than anyone else to advance home brewers' knowledge and understanding of using electric brewing systems and techniques. I would say both combined have touched in some way nearly everyone on Home Brew Talk.:rockin:

While brewing my third beer (last week), I tried a yeast starter for the first time. It worked a bit too well. A bunch of krausen got blown up into the airlock, to the point that it clogged. By the time I noticed, the lid of the fermentation pail was bulging, and there was a whistling noise coming from the grommet around the airlock. By narrowly avoiding a homebrew explosion, I can continue enjoying my newest hobby. If I'd blown the top, I'm pretty sure my wife would have insisted I find another use for my spare time.

20150424_065240.jpg

I think I just made the best beer and could get funding with it....but that would be work..

Just post a long rambling video of your kitchen tiles, in which you repeat over and over how your beer is the best beer in the world while refusing to divulge any sort of descriptive information about the actual beer whatsoever. People will literally come out of the woodwork to throw money at you to start your new microbrewery.

My contribution to homebrewing: I just helped a fellow HBT member go pro with my solid business plan advice based on tried and true methods. My customary consulting fees will be waived in the spirit of camaraderie.

Just post a long rambling video of your kitchen tiles, in which you repeat over and over how your beer is the best beer in the world while refusing to divulge any sort of descriptive information about the actual beer whatsoever. People will literally come out of the woodwork to throw money at you to start your new microbrewery.

My contribution to homebrewing: I just helped a fellow HBT member go pro with my solid business plan advice based on tried and true methods. My customary consulting fees will be waived in the spirit of camaraderie.

You in fact helped more than one. I gotta clean the grout first though.

I got one of my friends into the hobby by dropping off everything he needed for beer brewing at his apartment while he was at the store. His wife was grinning from ear to ear at first, until she saw just how much stuff I was bringing in... She later received a few more items needed for wine brewing, so she doesn't complain too much about it.
Also, I am working with a group of like minded people at the Dallas Makerspace to get a brewing group going there. We are pushing for an all electric system capable of doing 10g batches.

My main contribution to brewing, other than making tasty beers, is hooking up my brother in law with a handful of equipment so that he too can make some tasty beers! Cheers, and Happy National Homebrew day!!

I try to stick to beer I brew myself. Enjoying an Old Peculiar clone currently.

On brew day my place is basically an open house. More people than I can count on my fingers and toes have been in my garage for brew days. One, (my partner), has stuck around for the last 3-4 years! Helps out every time and we BOTH still learn things. So, tomorrow National Homebrew Day, expecting a few newbies to stop by....just like any other brew day. :tank:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back