Nate's motorized grain mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kegtoe

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Here is the equiment i've been slowly collecting for my build.

IMG_08651.JPG

IMG_08721.JPG

I'm going to get one of those motors eventually. It's just way low on the list compared to other upgrades. That, and I don't have a good place to put a whole milling station right now.

Is that thing gonna have enough torque? 30 inch pounds is not much. You may not be able to fill your hopper very full before you start the mill. 1.1 amp draw at 115V = 126 Watts = .17 HP. Lots of threads I have read have said that a 1/3 HP (.3333) motor hasn't been enough power?

Just wondering. Let us know how it goes.

-Craig

OK that is the one that should be here for me in a day or 2.

I have 10 in rollers hope I can make it work.

Using a Barley Crusher Mill:
Have the surplus center motor running at 177rpm.
Added 6" drive sprocket to 3" driven sprocket.
Result = Motor locks up with anything more that 1/2" deep of grain in mill.
Not happy.

Using a Barley Crusher Mill:
Have the surplus center motor running at 177rpm.
Added 6" drive sprocket to 3" driven sprocket.
Result = Motor locks up with anything more that 1/2" deep of grain in mill.
Not happy.

Try reversing the sprockets (sheaves?) so that the 3" is the drive sprocket (on the motor) and the 6" is the driven sprocket (on the mill). You are reducing the torque and increasing the rpm's if it's set up as you describe.

Should the motor still lack sufficient torque with the sprockets reversed, you could try restricting the grain feed rate which will reduce the load on the motor. Some others report success when doing so.

Just curious, why are you not going with direct drive? I just got my couplings today, motor should be here tomarrow.

Ordered coupler from Mcmaster.
Will convert to direct drive from chain drive though this will cut our intended RPM by half; from 354 to 177.
Can't change sprockets because sprocket holes different sizes: Motor = 1/2", Mill = 5/16". Sending back to mcmaster.

Info on the motor please!

Ordered coupler from Mcmaster.
Will convert to direct drive from chain drive though this will cut our intended RPM by half; from 354 to 177.
Can't change sprockets because sprocket holes different sizes: Motor = 1/2", Mill = 5/16". Sending back to mcmaster.

The barley crusher is only designed for direct coupling. It can not take the side force of using a pully or sprocket. You will sure wear out the bearings prematurely.

i re-drilled the holes from 5/16 to 3/8. that allowed a little more "play" when i put the bolts through and helped the base to sit more even. if you look close in the pics it seems a little "wobbly."

Looking good! what are you going to "catch" grain in that fits in the cabinet?

And do you have a layout of that motor bracket? Just ordered all the stuff since my drill died today....want to get a head start like you did.

kegtoe nice woodwork.

With some leftover wood make safety guard to cover the drive shaft and protect your friends;)

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

alright, I'm looking for some help from the HBT community.

1) I'm looking for some ideas on how to mount my control box. I have a project box from Radio Shack where i am going to mount the capacitor inside and 2 switches on the outside. I am thinking that i would make a psuedo table top to the right level with the rest of the top. I'd then likely make on on the left to put a scale on for weighing grains.

2) What's your opinions on color for the cabinet. I was originally going to stain the whole thing. But with the ply wood being a different species. AND the top not being perfectly square, it shows a few gaps and some end grain with the plies. I think now i'd like to sand it, use a bit of putty, prime it, and paint it black. That way i can add my HBT sticker to the front too.

What do you all think?

IMG_08912.JPG

Back