Nate's motorized grain mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the first question, i would go with just one switch, there is no reason for two, mine is up for fwd and down for reverse. (IMO)

You do nice work so it might look better if you make a wood box that matches your masterpiece for the switch and CAP.

Why don't you cover the motor and the shaft and make a small "table" above those items to set you scale?

Good luck

bought a project box from radio shack for 6 bucks. holds the capacitor and two switches with faceplate.

From the front
IMG_08921.JPG

From the back of the box plate
IMG_0893.JPG

motor and wiring

I wanted to use the mated spade connectors in case i ever wanted to change the motor - wouldn't have to rewire the whole thing
IMG_09011.JPG

IMG_09031.JPG

IMG_09043.JPG

Does anyone know the dimension of the capacitor. Trying to get ahead start on the project box. Want to make sure I leave space for it. I bought a 8x6x3 project enclosure. But I want to put a extra outlet and switch for it. Lights for the power on the extra outlet,forward,reverse and power to the motor. Then I decided I liked the idea of a light switch and a 3 way light switch for the controls. Here's a pic of the supplies. Just wana make sure it all fits. The dimensions would help alot. Thanks for everyones help

image-3936860196.jpg

I only used one switch...it is all you need. SPDT switch...ON-OFF-ON...gives you forward and reverse with OFF in the middle position.

jakecpunut said:
@agezzi1 5 1/2" long (counting tabs that you hook your wires too) 2 7/8" wide 1 1/2" deep

hope that helps!

Thanks that helps alot. My motor should b here tomorrow. I just finished the project box when I got your response. Here's a pic of the finished product( plenty of room for the cap). Just got to wire the motor. As well keep up the videos on the tube. I'm a fan, thanks again

image-4246353901.jpg

image-684303852.jpg

image-2075223767.jpg

Thanks that helps alot. My motor should b here tomorrow. I just finished the project box when I got your response. Here's a pic of the finished product( plenty of room for the cap). Just got to wire the motor. As well keep up the videos on the tube. I'm a fan, thanks again

cool! looking good on your project! You'll love it! Glad you enjoy the vids!!

Just got the motor yesterday. Does anyone know if u can remove the post sticking out the back(it's for the fan), or is it non removable. Wonder if I can just grind it flush if I can't remove it.

@ kegtoe... I'm going to have to call OSHA unless you homebrewer-fi your build. It needs protective shielding EVERYWHERE!!! :D

Nice build!

@kegtoe: How does the motor handle the mill. Do you start empty and just pour in the grain?

i just tried it under "full load" today. I started it before putting grain in the mill just to be sure. it worked great. so i stoped the mill half way through, and started it again. the motor had no issues starting back up under the weight of the grain.

Back