name for something seen in wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IBrewthere4Iam

Reaction score
I am not worried or anything of the sort. I am just looking for the name for something I saw in my new wort yesterday.

I brewed a Citra IPA (BIAB). Once the temp dropped to 90 I transferred to primary and then took to my basement to continue to cool so I could pitch. After a few hours I went to check the temp and see where we were. I took the top off and I saw very clear wort, but looked like it had jelly fish swimming in. Just big translucent bubbles, I sadly did not have a camera with me at that time and we are fermenting away now. What is called? some sort of cold/hot brake.

Without seeing it I can't be sure, but I am going to guess it is the cold break settling out. If you put in a clear fermentor such as a glass carboy or better bottle it looks like Egg Drop soup. It is simply the cold break (proteins, etc) precipitation out of the wort, coagulating and dropping to the bottom. It is or will become the trub.

Back