Mystery: where did the hops go?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dogphish

Reaction score
I just brewed this recipe for Stones black IPA, 120 IBU's with 4 ounces of whole hops dry hops. When it went to bottle, it had a wonderful hops aroma, and tasted fine. Two weeks later, the hops flavor and aroma is gone.

http://hopville.com/recipe/419942/home-brew/stone-xi-11th-anniversary-black-ipa-clone

I know the beer is still green, but where did all those hops go??? It tastes like stout now.

Did you brew a half batch? The recipe you showed used 10 ozs of hops. How did you dry hop it?

1.080 OG
primary for a full month
checked FG with hydrometer
racked to secondary
added 4oz dry hops for 7 days
sample smelled/tasted HOPPY
added sugar
bottled 2 weeks
tasted
all hops gone

the target IBU was 120, the sample tasted more like 80 ...but the sample was taken from the top of the fermenter, just under the layer of hops. i agitated the secondary twice every day to mix the hops in good.

That Cara III is some dark & malty stuff. I only use a 1/4 pound of it when brew. If you can't taste the hops using 10 ounces now, I would like to see what this tastes like in a couple weeks... subscribed

Saturday, 11am, three weeks after bottling: I pop the top on a bottle to test the progress. this one has plenty of hops aroma, but is overcarbonated, and foaming like a volcano.

only difference i can think of: first bottle (no hops) was chilled quickly in the freezer, second bottle (hoppy), was tasted at room temp.

Back