Mystery metal particles in Chugger Pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danapellerin

Reaction score
So I've had a few chugger pumps for about 6 months now, and I tore them down to make sure they were clean. They were spotless inside with the exception of some metal particles stuck to the magnets on the impeller. See pic. They are reddish brown in color and are definitely metal because I removed them with another magnet. I'm wondering if it's maybe iron from my municipal water source?

IMG_0948.jpeg

If your municipal water source really were to deliver metal particles you should definitely report them as any iron you should get, if at all, should be dissolved in the form of salts. It's more likely that those particles are coming from the plumbing in your house corroding. If you don't want to get them in your mash you should run your brewing water at least through a 10 micron or less filter cartridge.

My guess would be it come from processing steps of the grains. From harvesting to malting to bagging to milling all steps contain a lot of industrial process with lots of moving metal parts. Very easy for the combine at harvest or a conveyor roller to the malt floor or a shovel over concrete or even your mill rollers or bearings leaving behind fine metal shavings that make it all the way it to the mash.

I run two pumps on my system the HLT pump never has any metal particles. Now my mash pump always collects those exact looking metal particles.

My guess would be it come from processing steps of the grains. From harvesting to malting to bagging to milling all steps contain a lot of industrial process with lots of moving metal parts. Very easy for the combine at harvest or a conveyor roller to the malt floor or a shovel over concrete or even your mill rollers or bearings leaving behind fine metal shavings that make it all the way it to the mash.

I run two pumps on my system the HLT pump never has any metal particles. Now my mash pump always collects those exact looking metal particles.

I think you’re right! I pulled apart my second pump that’s only used for water and it’s perfectly clean. Good to know!

Back