Chugger issues. Wuddya think?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoCal-Doug

Reaction score
Let's see if anyone has had a similar issue, and cured it... Here's the details

Symptom: After about 6 batches with no issues, it would randomly "pop" "squeal for a second" and stop pumping. The motor was still turning, albeit at a higher RPM. I would shut off the pump, then restart it, then it would work fine for some random period of time ranging from 1 minute to 30 minutes. Obviously becoming decoupled. Over time, it's become worse (more frequent decoupling events).
Brand new chugger pump. 115V, center inlet, SS head. Mounted body and inlet horizontal with the output pointing to the right horizontally (as looking into the inlet).

All fittings and lines are at least 1/2" full port. Used on a 15 gallon HERMS system for wort recirculation and sparging. Limiting valve only on the output (return line into the MLT). Not used for boiling wort. Highest temp the pump sees is 168F to 170F for mashout/sparging from the HLT.

Typical finer grain false bottom (domed with the tiny holes, not the slotted or screen type). At mash in and initial circulation, a random husk or two will probably go through the system, but within 5 minutes of recirculation, the vorlauf always creates crystal clear wort with great flow.

No evidence of leaks, cavitation or becoming dry. Never appeared to lose prime. Lines and head are fully wetted before starting pump (kinda has too be, since the pump is below the kettles). All lines are TC/SS hard plumbed. No flexible lines or QD's in the system.

Took the head apart. Impellor to shaft is VERY smooth and spins nicely. No binding, wobble, or slop. Very clean (i'm kinda anal about my rig sanitation). No evidence of wear, with the exception of the large thrust washer up inside the stamped metal cover (some concentric and even wear from the back of the impellor). Point of interest, there is no small thrust washer on the shaft in front of the impellor (does the center inlet model not use a small washer? did it vaporize?). Alignment seams fine.

Just curious if anyone else has had this problem. I can't imagine a pump that fails (or wears out) after less than ten batches.

TIA

I've had that happen when one of my 815pl teflon thrust washers has thinned down. Cured it with a new thrust washer.
They eventually succumb to repeated hot PBW circulated cleaning, imo, but once you buy a bag of them it's no biggie to replace them once a year or so.

If your Chugger is similar to a March I'd go for the thrust washer...

Cheers!

I've had that happen when one of my 815pl teflon thrust washers has thinned down. Cured it with a new thrust washer.
They eventually succumb to repeated hot PBW circulated cleaning, imo, but once you buy a bag of them it's no biggie to replace them once a year or so.

If your Chugger is similar to a March I'd go for the thrust washer...

Cheers!

Excellent, just a few minutes ago I ordered the "repair kit" for $25. Includes impellor, thrust washers and o-ring. The first thing I'll do is measure up the Teflon washers and order a handful of each from McMaster :)

Back