MyBrewBot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the unit and have played with it a little bit. My garage is detached and although my wifi signal from the house is strong enough for my iPhone, it's not strong enough for this unit. So I'm getting a wifi extender that should help the situation.

Did some setup and had a few issues. My unit is a newer version 2 and most of the directions on the website are for the older original version. But I was able to email back and for with the inventor and he was quite helpful in getting it and running. Looking forward to getting it fully hooked up next week.

I sure hope so- the design of the ambient sensor in particular requires it be immersed in a liter of water.

I sure hope so- the design of the ambient sensor in particular requires it be immersed in a liter of water.
Any updates? Very curious to hear about your experience with fermentation - if you've tried that yet.

-AD

I haven't tried it yet with actual beer.

I got the first unit which out of the box was causing lots of problems that ultimately could not be troubleshot by the maker. They ended up sending me a second unit which also had problems (perhaps related to wifi?) but finally seems stable and ready to put into use.

I would say the product right now is still in a beta mode. Even since I got my unit(s) a new version of the product has gone on the market with different replaceable probes which should be a nice improvement. The software is being rapidly updated as bugs are identified. The user interface on the iPhone app is probably one of the least user friendly I've ever encountered and requires a lot of attention just to make sure you are actually selecting what you think you are selecting.

The maker is very attentive to issues and spent lots of time emailing back and forth with me as we worked to troubleshoot problems with the units. For someone used to techy things, you can probably get this to work right now for you, and it does combine functions of both fermentation and keezer nicely. But if you aren't very techy and expecting to plug and play, the unit and the software isn't there yet. I don't know how many units are out and operating in the wild at this point, but given that no one else on here has responded, I'm guessing not too many.

fwiw, Google claims this is the only HBT thread that mentions MyBrewBot.
I believe it - I missed the first few posts so this is the first I've read about this device.
The functional description is actually pretty good, hopefully Mister Bullock will get the operating code refined to achieve its full potential...

Cheers!

I got the first unit which out of the box was causing lots of problems that ultimately could not be troubleshot by the maker. They ended up sending me a second unit which also had problems (perhaps related to wifi?) but finally seems stable and ready to put into use.

I would say the product right now is still in a beta mode. Even since I got my unit(s) a new version of the product has gone on the market with different replaceable probes which should be a nice improvement. The software is being rapidly updated as bugs are identified. The user interface on the iPhone app is probably one of the least user friendly I've ever encountered and requires a lot of attention just to make sure you are actually selecting what you think you are selecting.

The maker is very attentive to issues and spent lots of time emailing back and forth with me as we worked to troubleshoot problems with the units. For someone used to techy things, you can probably get this to work right now for you, and it does combine functions of both fermentation and keezer nicely. But if you aren't very techy and expecting to plug and play, the unit and the software isn't there yet. I don't know how many units are out and operating in the wild at this point, but given that no one else on here has responded, I'm guessing not too many.

Well, I must say the promise of this device is very compelling, sorry to hear it's not quite ready for prime time.

Thanks for being a guinea pig on this!

Hey Volare,

It's now 2019 and I'm still curious how MyBrewBot is working out... Any updates?

The software has been updated a few times. Seems like every time that happens mine goes inoperative and I have to reach out for technical assistance and reflashing of the software. I had been using it solely as a monitor of temps but right now I don't even have it doing that.

Thanks for the update - sorry to hear it hasn't magically improved. I really like their concept and was hoping for the best...

-AD

I received an email that the App UI is going to have some pretty significant changes soon. The following video was linked that shows the App in action which I think gives a better idea of how it works and some of the challenges presented by the unique UI.

http://mybrewbot.co.uk/UI/New_UI.mp4

Any updates? I have a unit on order right now (plus one digital temp probe) which cost me about $78usd with shipping. I plan on using it along with these to control temperature of my (yet to be built) fermentation fridge. I'm also thinking of purchasing the Tilt since this unit solves the BTE/wifi dilemma.

Purchased MyBrewBot here:
https://www.mybrewbot.com

Purchased remote on/off switches for MyBrewBot here:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DQELHBS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So I'm just getting around to installing the mybrewbot and I have to admit that it took me about 2 hours to get setup. Once you get the hang of it, it's fairly straight forward but a lot of things aren't very intuitive.

Digital temp probe (purchased one with the bot) works very well once you go into the system, disable the master lock and then go into settings and perform a search for attachments.

Controlling remote power switches is also fairly straight forward. What the videos fail to mention is that the stick on the face of the unit should point towards the devices you want to remotely control as that's where the IR emitter is hiding.

USB cable: Get a LONG cable if you want to use this little bot. It needs to be powered up to work AND it needs to be fairly close to the router AND it needs to be within reach of the items you want to record the temperature of AND it needs to be facing the remote control plugs. This may sound trivial, but it makes the placement of this little guy a challenge.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back