My wort is green

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devian

Reaction score
Greetings folks,
I desperately need your help.
I have made my own malt and the resulting wort was green
I’m wondering, if there is any known reason for getting a green wort?

Greetings folks,
Could you post a picture?
Is the wort green during or after the mash, before the boil?

As @parjay mentioned, could be from the hops, but that would be mostly during (or sometimes after) the boil.

can't say i've ever had green beer....lol, like @IslandLizard said, i would love to see a picture or at least get a description of your malting process.....

i would say taste but don't swallow...if it's hops then your good...

also for the 'classic' yellow' or brown color, you need to kiln it...otherwise it will taste green, but still shouldn't actually be green?

edit: in fact, before you guy's inspired me to mod my oven to go lower, all my home-malted beer was black....

Greetings folks,
Thank you guys for your answers

The green wort is produced after the mash, before boil and before even I add my hops, and it continues to be green until I put in the fermenter for 24 hours. It settles after that and it change its color to yellow or brown.

My wort has never been clear, and its OG pre-boil ranges from 1.04 to 1.06

Needless to say that my beer taste is off.

I prepare my malt as follows:
After washing and cleaning the barley, I alternate between steeping and air rest for three times each (steep, air rest, steep, air rest, steep, air rest). After that I leave for 2-3 days to germinate. I stir the barley during germination every 8 to 12 hours. Then I kiln in my 1.5x1.5x1.5 ft wooden box, where I used fans and light bulbs to produce a hot air that passes through a net that holds the barley for 24 hours. The temperature starts at 95F and reaches 120F in the last 4 hours.

Your malt is "green malt" because it has been kilned at too low a temperature. You'd need at least 170°F to make a light colored malt. Didn't know green malt would actually produce a green wort but on the other hand I never heard of someone making beer with 100% green malt. 2-3 days germination is also rather short, the malt is probably undermodified as hell.

What i do is soak my barley once in my tub for about 2-3 hours...then i drain, let sit till next day, give it another ~15 min soak, then again next day...until the acrospires (the shoot that would become the plant) is stuck out of about 20% of the kernels..., then i dry it, with a box fan...then kiln in my oven i modded with a 200ohm resistor to go low at ~150f for 12 hours...then deculm it..(do you deculm your malt?)

if you've got a lot of green rootlets maybe that's the problem?

another issue i could see is, my malt stops growing if i don't water it every day...how long do you let the acrospires get?

Last edited:
here's some pics start to finish...
100_0347.JPG
100_0385.JPG
100_0470.JPG
100_0468.JPG
100_0499.JPG
100_0466.JPG

Latest posts

Back