My water profile... help please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

houser31

Reaction score
ive tried using beersmith, brun water, and ezcalculater but still need help clarifiying it for me...

My Local water is as follows

A. Profile (Ca ppm) (Mg ppm) (Na ppm) (Cl ppm) (SO4 ppm) (HCO3)
49 14 45 55 18.5 191

getting different additions totals from the 3 different programs... should i just use distilled water and build my own water or try using my local source??

Yes, you should... and the main reason is that 191 HCO3 is high alkalinity. As a result, this will be difficult water to brew with for many styles. You'll end up needing to add a lot of minerals and/or acid to bring down pH.

In addition, 45 ppm Na is uncomfortably high (fine for some styles, not desired for others).

Just one man's opinion! RO/DI makes it easy, albeit more expensive.

seems building water would be better... plus havent learned enough yet to know what levels are too high or low of course...

The starting levels are good (Na a bit high), except for the HCO3 (bicarbonate) which is the challenge. Folks will chime in and tell you the water can be used, and it can of course - but to feel free to experiment with all styles from pale to black, it would be easier with a blank slate.

The starting levels are good (Na a bit high), except for the HCO3 (bicarbonate) which is the challenge. Folks will chime in and tell you the water can be used, and it can of course - but to feel free to experiment with all styles from pale to black, it would be easier with a blank slate.

thanks i appreciate it

ive tried using beersmith, brun water, and ezcalculater but still need help clarifiying it for me...

My Local water is as follows

A. Profile (Ca ppm) (Mg ppm) (Na ppm) (Cl ppm) (SO4 ppm) (HCO3)
49 14 45 55 18.5 191

getting different additions totals from the 3 different programs... should i just use distilled water and build my own water or try using my local source??

There are a couple of reasons for variability in the answers one gets when trying to match a particular water profile by adding salts to RO or tap water. First, none of the programs you mentioned handles the carbonic acid/bicarbonate/carbonate system properly (and you can add Brewers Friend to that list) and second and none except Beersmith tries to find an optimum match (and Beersmith bobbles it because its basic water chemistry is flawed). Third, even if you do use an optimizer there are, in many cases more than one solution (answer) that are 'pretty good'.

Yes, you should... and the main reason is that 191 HCO3 is high alkalinity.

Not to pick on McKnuckle here in particular but a flaw shared between these calculators seems to be that they assume just what the quote says (I bolded is). Bicarbonate is the major source of alkalinity as long as the water's pH is below about 8.6 (which it is most of the time but not always). Below 8.6 and as long as the alkalinity is above 25 ppm as CaCO3 bicarbonate can be calculated from alkalinity by

bicarbonate = 61*alkalinity/50

and the error will be within ±3% which isn't too bad. At alkalinity of 12.5 the error is 10 - 15% but that means 1.25 - 1.9 alkalinity units so we don't care. Above pH 8.6 hydroxyl ions contribute appreciably to the alkalinity and the approximation can induce errors of up to 40%.

Up to this point we are talking about finding out what you need to add to RO or other water to produce a given profile. Because none of these 'water' programs seem to recognize that adding acid or base or bicarbonate to water will cause its pH to shift one cannot really use them to match one water to another.

The other application to which these programs are put is estimating mash pH. Each models the properties of the malts the user specifies in different ways and this is, of course, behind quite a bit of variation and combines that with the properties of the water you feed it. As each uses different models for the properties of the malts they are all going to give different answers and they seem to more or less correctly handle the shifts in mash pH caused by alkalinity in the water. I think this is perhaps because they recognize that strong acid cancels base and even though the alkalinity of the carbo system is not always accurately calculated the approximation is usually pretty good and when it is bad the actual level is not large relative to the alkalinity of the malts.

None of these calculators (including Brewer's Friend) give you complete guidance as to what to add to tap water to reproduce Pellegrino (as someone is trying to do in another currently active thread) but they won't tell you what to add to RO water either. But if you restrict your additions to neutral salts (sodium chloride, calcium sulfate, magnesium sulfate, calcium chloride but not sodium bicarbonate) they will correctly calculate the concentrations of sodium ions, sulfate ions, etc.

There are lots of good reasons to use RO water. In this particular case we can't say what the actual alkalinity is but it is most probably close to 50*bicarb/61 = 156 ppm as CaCO3 i.e. about 3 mEq/L and that's a pretty compelling reason though there are other ways to handle it. For example if you would like to have sulfate at about 165 and you could get food grade sulfuric acid you could just add 3 mEq/L sulfuric acid to the tap water. Alkalinity, and the bicarbonate that caused it, would be gone.

If you want to brew using RO water you still have to figure out how much of what salts/acids to add to it to get the mash properties you want. You will get different answers from each of the 4 programs but they shouldn't be too different. You shouldn't totally rely on any of them (all though many do) but rather use them as guidance. You'll see lots of posts here about how Meister Water always gives me great results and how Narr Water is always high (or low) and lots of reports about how Meister Water was way off and Narr Water was spot on. If you find, in using one of the programs, that it gives good results that probably means that it models your type of brewing well. Stick with that one.

You don't really have much of an alternative except to take the KISS approach to using RO water as described at https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=198460 or to learn the chemistry (it's at https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=473408) and write your own spreadsheet or program. I'm glossing over just a few details here, of course. The chemistry really isn't that complex. It only took me 15 yrs to figure it out but a real chemist should have no problem.

Lacking elaborate test equipment and the predilection to spend hours fixating on water, most of us are bound by the limits of the existing calculators. It's a means to an end for the vast majority of brewers. So, for the sake of practicality, while I do understand that the HCO3 value does not equate to alkalinity, it appears to manifest as residual alkalinity - and implies a subsequent need to lower the mash pH.

I've mentioned a few times in my responses to water threads that I do not measure pH. Instead, I've used the Brewer's Friend calculator consistently over nearly 50 batches, observing how predicted mash pH values from 5.3-5.5 actually perform from an efficiency, clarity, and (most importantly) taste perspective. These empirical experiences inform my brewing habits, and I definitely have adopted a KISS approach to water treatment as a result. I don't know how accurate the predictions have actually been, but to some extent it doesn't matter - I've correlated the figures with my subjective impression of the results.

It's true that if you have a thermometer that reads 20 ° high and you use it in brewing enough you will probably eventually figure out that beer mashed when the thermometer reads 170° is better than beer mashed when it reads 150 °.

I was not familiar with Brewer's Friend (and still am not really). I downloaded the trial yesterday and went straight to the stout profile. I got all excited when I saw that the program has a linear programming capability and asked it what salt additions to add to RO water to produce it's 'famous' dry stout water. In the first place, the famous profile cannot physically exist. In the second place, the linear programming function directed me to get most of the requisite calcium from chalk - 4.8 grams in 5 gallons. Both these major problems were common in the past (and ruined a lot of people's beer) but were pretty much put to rest over 5 years ago. That they are still found in software that is sold today is pretty surprising. And that's what I found in 10 minutes. I would advise people to use one of the other programs despite their shortcomings. Pity as it runs on Mac and the user interface looks really nice. There are several aspects to water/mash chemistry that require the linear programming approach but it has to be based on sound science.

I think you're dismissing BF way too easily. I never, ever use pre-defined profiles, or let any software TELL me what to add to my water (in fact I hate that approach). People blindly put 300 ppm SO4 into their water all the time thanks to Bru'n Water's IPA/APA profiles. Is that good? Maybe... but maybe not. It's certainly on the border of "extreme" and doesn't teach us what a more reasonable amelioration might do for our beer.

I build from DI/RO to my own far more reasonable "profiles." I use only gypsum, CaCl, and baking soda for 95% of beers... adding lactic very occasionally. I never put more than 150 ppm of the "big three" (Ca, SO4, Cl) in my water... or more than 30 ppm sodium. It's very easy to reliably use the software for the end goal of brewing good beer.

Think I get it. You can make good beer using it if you ignore what it tells you.

But would be users might not know that and be tempted to use its water section to say, modify some RO water to make an Irish stout. What about them?

So since I don't know that much about water and have only added gypsum in the past... what can I use as a reference to help me.get my water where I need it? I've never used RO water and probably won't use my own local water either

Back