My version of a Keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zazbnf

Reaction score
Been lurking and reading for a while, thought I would share my keezer plans, I have most of the parts rounded up and will hopefully find the time to start building soon.

Probably more of a Beezer than a Keezer. Beer will be self serve from the front with room to sit at the bar. I decided to build it this way to reduce floor space requirements of a normal bar. This can sit right against the wall.

The left door on the top is to access the keg storage area/cooler and will have a shelf over the compressor used to keep bottled beers. The right door on the top is for freezer access to keep ice for mixed drinks.

aawqk8.jpg

Cool concept. How far will your lid extend over the bar - knocking knees against the bar back is the worst.

Cool concept. How far will your lid extend over the bar - knocking knees against the bar back is the worst.

Thanks, the front of the lid will hang over about 12". I had a hard time getting it set up in the software. The software kept wanting to attach the bar top to the front of the cabinet.

The left door on the top is to access the keg storage area/cooler and will have a shelf over the compressor used to keep bottled beers. The right door on the top is for freezer access to keep ice for mixed drinks.

how do you plan to have both sub-freezing and beer dispensing temperatures in the same unit? Are you using two independent freezers under the shell?

how do you plan to have both sub-freezing and beer dispensing temperatures in the same unit? Are you using two independent freezers under the shell?

Yes, it will have 2 seperate freezers under the shell.

2mrxkkm.jpg

I already have the 2 freezers, the smaller one will be for freezing. I am not planning to use the original lid for either freezer, the bar top will be designed to serve as the new freezer lids.

I am going to usa a 6" 240cfm fan that will be switched on and off by a White Rodgers 3F05-1 Adjustable Snap Disc Fan Control switch. It should kick on at about 100 degrees F and turn off around 80 degrees F. The plans call for a 2" gap between all surfaces for air flow except the top of course.

Hopefully this will keep things from overheating with 2 freezers generating heat inside the shell.

and for those that asked, yes these mockups were done in google sketchup.

Started the Build. Here are a few pics. I have it framed up, will start skinning hopefully later today or tomorrow. Figured I might as well take advantage of the free time this blizzard is giving me. Will probably be off for a couple of days:ban:

2pozi0x.jpg

r1jwb9.jpg

118k389.jpg

2f0denl.jpg

2wf4eux.jpg

Nice build so far...

Granted, I have no experience building a keezer yet but one thing struck me. The freezer pump out hot air, are you going to vent the encasing somewhere?

Also, are you going to install rollers or low-profile lockable wheels of some kind?

Nice build so far...

Granted, I have no experience building a keezer yet but one thing struck me. The freezer pump out hot air, are you going to vent the encasing somewhere?

Thanks.
Yes, each side under the top will have a 1/2" x 24" gap for venting hot air. I have a fan with a temp controller I plan to use to draw cool air in from the back bottom and force out through these gaps.

I am hopeful this will be adequate to remove the heat from the enclosure, however if things get too hot I will have to figure out a new solution.

Also, are you going to install rollers or low-profile lockable wheels of some kind?
Can't really see them in these pictures but it already has 8 2" casters. They are recessed behind the bottom 2x4's. This gives me about a 3/4" gap between the floor and the bottom of the enclosure.

Had a day off today, and finally made some more progress. Hopefully I will get some more time to work on it this weekend.

2h72i3q.jpg

54f2g0.jpg

15hbv35.jpg

Made a lot of progress today, Just need to make the doors for the top of the bar, and am waiting for the parts to arrive to finish the bar rail.

And am still waiting on the most important part, the beer to be ready to drink. probably going to have to buy a keg of Guinness to throw in here to get me through until my homebrews are ready.

2a0mjq0.jpg

20h0ner.jpg

2n1g7py.jpg

30mn688.jpg

27x2i9t.jpg

hvzads.jpg

ilcbki.jpg

Thanks

What's the black box in this picture?

It's a micromatic MM200 gas blender. It takes in pure CO2 and pure nitrogen and outputs 2 blends of gas. A stout gas at 75% Nitrogen 25% CO2 and "lager/ale" gas for long beer line runs at 60% CO2 and 40% Nitrogen. At this point I am only planning to use the stout gas output.

And, what kind of wood did you use for the top?
I used tiger strand bamboo hardwood flooring. I picked up a box of it for cheap at the Habitat for Humanity re-store.

This looks really good. What makes it such a cool build is that you are using two freezers with the tops completely removed from the project. I don't know that I have seen that configuration before on this site, and that is saying a lot. Nice work. Looking forward to seeing it finished.

Question though, do you have casters hidden behind the frame somewhere? That thing looks both heavy and bulky and it doesn't look like you are wanting to keep it in the spot you built it in...

Question though, do you have casters hidden behind the frame somewhere? That thing looks both heavy and bulky and it doesn't look like you are wanting to keep it in the spot you built it in...
Yes, there are 8 - 2" casters hidden behind the bottom 2x4 base, and yes it is very heavy.

I started working on the bar rail this weekend, but had some problems.
hsrlsm.jpg

Tried to make too tight of a turn on the inside corner and it tore a bit. I'm Going try to salvage the pleather, but might have to start over and change the curve:(
50388.jpg

On a much happier note, I did keg up a hefeweizen this morning and set it to force carbonate. Gonna start a Chimay clone next weekend.

Progress has been slow, I did manage to finish the rail, I was not able to repair the tear and had to start it over with a more gradual curve. Still haven't finished the doors for the top, but by cutting foam board the size of the openings, It is sort of functional. The freezer side is not currently turned on, but I can keep kegs cold, and pour beer while I work(this probably means progress will slow down even more).

25ui1b4.jpg

259z4zr.jpg

Just need to get my glassware out of storage now.

I currently have an Irish stout and a Hefeweizen on tap now,and have a Chimay red clone fermenting on deck. Next up is an oatmeal stout.

It looks like you're using the smaller of the two freezers for the ice storage... but what else are you planning to keep in there?
Sure, a bar can go through a lot of ice if you have a party, but it still seems like a bit of wasted space if that's really all it does.

I'm considering doing something similar after seeing this, but perhaps using an icemaker freezer (which I've seen portable versions of, surely they must have a small bar/home version) to use less space, which would put room below it other storage/CO2.

I'm just wondering if there is something blatantly obvious that I'm missing there, or if it's just going to house spare hotpockets. ;-p

It looks like you're using the smaller of the two freezers for the ice storage... but what else are you planning to keep in there?
Sure, a bar can go through a lot of ice if you have a party, but it still seems like a bit of wasted space if that's really all it does.

I'm considering doing something similar after seeing this, but perhaps using an icemaker freezer (which I've seen portable versions of, surely they must have a small bar/home version) to use less space, which would put room below it other storage/CO2.

I'm just wondering if there is something blatantly obvious that I'm missing there, or if it's just going to house spare hotpockets. ;-p

Well, It will probably serve multiple purposes, I have a spare temp controller so i will probably use it for lagering, and when not in use for that, it can be used for ice storage. Oh and I hate hot pockets, but have been known to eat a frozen pizza every now and then;)

Latest posts

Back