My Tongue Burns a Bit with Hydro Sample

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gold_Robber

Reaction score
It's been a week since I brewed a SMASH beer as part of my brew-clubs experiment. We're all doing a Maris Otter/ Cascade SMASH with different yeasts. I am using WLP007.

I just sampled the hydro reading (after one week in the primary) and my tongue kind of burned/ popped a bit - weird. So far the gravity is at 1.010, Beer smith said the estimated final gravity would be 1.012, so it has attenuated more than expected.

The sample smells fine and it tastes ok, but I'm not sure why as soon as the wort hits my tongue it burns (could this be 'dryness'?). I did use a lot of Cascade with a lot of additions throughout the boil - IBUs are estimated to be around 41 and I started with an OG of 1.058

Any explanations?

TIA

With that setup, all I can think of is fusels. But I dunno....

Sounds like fusel alcohols to me too (people describe it tasting like kerosene), although those are associated with high fermentation temps, and yours are right where they should be for an ale.

Back