My Strawberry/ Rhubarb/ Raspberry BOMM Melomel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan O

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I started this on 4 July 2022. Be warned, I used a lot of fruit for this & it was totally worth it! 👌🤌

Here's my recipe......

Strawberry/ Rhubarb/ Raspberry BOMM melomel

4 gallon batch

8 lbs 2.3 oz honey (I used my local wildflower)
4 lbs raspberries (frozen/thawed)
2 lbs 4.2 oz rhubarb (NOT frozen)
9lbs 7 oz organic handpicked strawberries 🍓 (frozen/ thawed)
2 gallons water
1 packet Wyeast Belgian Strong Ale Yeast (1388)
1 tsp potassium carbonate
4.5 tsp Fermaid O (1.5 tsp up front & then again @ 1/3 & 2/3 sugar breaks)
3.0 tsp Fermaid K (1.5 tsp up front & 1.5 tsp @ 1st sugar break only)
4 grams Booster Blanc
4 grams Opti-red

All fruit was put in brew bags for easy removal & reducing racking mess & sediment.

OG 1.093.....6 days later 1.000
Added 2 more lbs honey...new gravity 1.020

1 month later, gravity 0.998. Stabilized with potassium sorbate and potassium metabisulfate.
1 week later (8/15/22) added 2.5 lbs raspberries & 10.5 lbs handpicked organic strawberries 🍓 (both frozen/ thawed)
Pulled the fruit after 7 days, as the tannic value balanced perfectly with the extra sweetness from the second round of fruit & will let it clear for about 2 weeks/maybe a month, before bottling.

F.G. 1.010

I normally like my meads semi-sweet, but, this was delicious dry @ 0.998. For me to say a dry mead is delicious, it has to be exceptional.
Enjoy & good luck with yours if you make it.
Happy meading 😎!

Attachments

• Resized_20220825_172326.jpeg
    Resized_20220825_172326.jpeg
    671.6 KB · Views: 0
Maybe it's just me, but I feel that adding any fruits to primary when it goes dry, is a waste of said fruit.

Maybe it's just me, but I feel that adding any fruits to primary when it goes dry, is a waste of said fruit.
I used to say the same, but, this one really changed my mind. I could've easily gotten away with backsweetening & left it alone, because, the fruit flavors were already pronounced @ the end of primary. It needed more tannic value anyways, so, all the extra fruit with those thousands of little seeds added just the right amount. Those seeds may be small, but, they're mighty😉.
The complexity you get with fermented fruit is very noticeable. Add to that, after stabilizing, the fresh fruit flavor, (not fermented), the intensity takes it a whole new level & the result is (to me) a more enjoyable mead.
Happy meading 😎

I see....
Right now my strategy is to put fruits right when fermentation pauses for like 2 days (no change in gravity). Then I move to secondary and throw fruits it. Fermentation slowly restarts, but since it's near yeast tolerance it doesn't get very far.
I have two batches right now trying this new method...

@Dan O I just did a cherry melomel and learned the hard way also that I needed to put in a bag because once I racked it, the cherries made it a bit complicated to say the least LOL. Lesson learned and the next one I'll definitely have the bag ready to go.

@Dan O I just did a cherry melomel and learned the hard way also that I needed to put in a bag because once I racked it, the cherries made it a bit complicated to say the least LOL. Lesson learned and the next one I'll definitely have the bag ready to go.
If you get a bag like the ones I use, it even catches smaller seeds like blueberries & strawberries.
These are the ones I use...
👇👇👇👇
Bellamei Brew Bags Extra Large Reusable 2 Pack 250 Micron Fine Mesh Bag for Fruit Cider Apple Grape Wine Press Drawstring Straining Brew in a Bag (2 pack-22"×26") Amazon.com: Bellamei Brew Bags Extra Large Reusable 2 Pack 250 Micron Fine Mesh Bag for Fruit Cider Apple Grape Wine Press Drawstring Straining Brew in a Bag (2 pack-22"×26"): Home & Kitchen

If you get a bag like the ones I use, it even catches smaller seeds like blueberries & strawberries.
These are the ones I use...
👇👇👇👇
Bellamei Brew Bags Extra Large Reusable 2 Pack 250 Micron Fine Mesh Bag for Fruit Cider Apple Grape Wine Press Drawstring Straining Brew in a Bag (2 pack-22"×26") Amazon.com: Bellamei Brew Bags Extra Large Reusable 2 Pack 250 Micron Fine Mesh Bag for Fruit Cider Apple Grape Wine Press Drawstring Straining Brew in a Bag (2 pack-22"×26"): Home & Kitchen
I'll order that for my next one, thank you for the info.

To use for fruit additions?🤔
Maybe not fruit, unless it is small, but I am going to use it for peels / sticks / spice berries stuff like that....raisins, currents, and cranberries as well...those sorts of things

Maybe not fruit, unless it is small, but I am going to use it for peels / sticks / spice berries stuff like that....raisins, currents, and cranberries as well...those sorts of things

Keep in mind,
Raisins, currants, cranberries, all fruit, & mostly (if not all) are dehydrated.... & they all swell when incorporated into your must. Put those in a little tea ball, & it will burst it @ the seams, not to mention block all of the holes. Spices, ok, but, I wouldn't put fruits in them, just my thoughts. Bags make things easier, easier to remove the fruit, less mess when racking & less waste once the yeast has settled.

Last edited:
Back