My starter yeast had a SG of 1.150 - did I ruin it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ptafan

Reaction score
I was creating a starter for my WLP775, and this was my process:

Juiced apples to make 1 liter of juice. Pasteurized juice by heating to 140-160*F for 10 minutes.

During heating, I added 1 lb Brown Sugar to the starter, which shot the SG from 1.040 to 1.150. I then chilled it to 70*F, and pitched my yeast in to the starter with 1/4 tsp nutrient. Gave it a vigorous 1 minute of shaking and slapped my airlock on it.

It's been 12 hours and it appears to be bubbling vigorously in the airlock, a bubble every .5-1 second.

Now, I've been told that I likely overstressed the yeast by adding the 1lb of brown sugar, and that the starter is likely no good. What are your thoughts? If this starter is no good to use, I'll have to use Levlin EC-1118 for my cider and I'd rather not. Any info helps, thanks!

Also, in the future, when making starters with WLP775, what is the ideal SG? Any reason to add sugar to the starter?

I'd still use it, yeast are tough. I'm not sure what the perfect starter gravity is, but I usually just aim for 1.03.

I'd still use it, yeast are tough. I'm not sure what the perfect starter gravity is, but I usually just aim for 1.03.

1.03 is far from 1.15 though.... but I've got to think that is the yeast is visibly fermenting then all is well, right? Any good ways to check my starter before dropping it into my carboy?

Your starter is 1150? Damn that's high, I would boil some water and add it to dilute it until it is an alright starter og like 1040

Your starter is 1150? Damn that's high, I would boil some water and add it to dilute it until it is an alright starter og like 1040

Its already been going at it for a good 18 hours. Too late to dilute it?

I diluted the yeast starter by boiling 1/2 gallon water, cooling to 70*F, then adding to starter. Added another 1/2 tsp of nutrient as well. OG now rests at 1.050, airlock is bubbling at least every 3 seconds. Hopefully this works.

Back