My split batch plan...comments?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myerstyson

Reaction score
OK, so I'm brewing a London Porter this weekend (AHS's LP kit...love this kit). I want to split the batch after fermentation; one batch normal the other with pumpkin pie spices. Here's my plan. Please let me know if I'm screwing anything up in the process. Everything below starts on bottling day:

Part I.
1) Bring a cup of water to boil.
2) Add 2T fresh grated ginger, 1/2t each ground nutmeg, ground cinnamon, ground allspice.
3) Boil 10 min.
4) Add 2.5 oz corn sugar.
5) Dissolve.
6) Strain ginger out.
7) Set aside for Part III.

Part II.
1) At the same time, bring another cup of water to boil.
2) Add 2.5 oz corn sugar.
3) Dissolve.
4) Rack half the beer (2.5 gallons) onto this corn sugar solution.
5) Bottle.

Part III.
1) Add the spiced sugar water to the (now empty) bottling bucket.
2) Rack the rest of the beer to the bottling bucket.
3) Bottle.

What am I missing?

Sounds good.
If I was to do it myself, I would bottle all but 1 or 2 gallons normally and add the spices to what is left (no sugar) and let sit in 1 gallon jugs for a week or so, then add sugar and bottle. Just a thought.
I am sure it would work just fine the way you planned it, just another option.

I think in terms of sanitation, oxygen exposure, and carb consistency, youd be better off racking it all, bottling half, then adding the spice solution to the bottling bucket and stirring carefully with a sanitized spoon or racking siphon

Back