My second brew- reinventing the bock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomHanx

Reaction score
Did my second brew ever on Monday. Finally posting some pics and stuff.

The recipe is the exact same recipe I did last time also located here:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/my-first-shiner-clone-partial-mash-240934/

or if you're too lazy to click on the link
-2.8 lbs light liquid malt extract
-1.9 lbs brewers corn syrup (the guy at the store recommended corn sugar. so we used 1.5 lbs of dextrose instead)
-.25 lbs 6 row pale malt
- 1 lb munich malt
- .66 lbs crystal malt
- .75 oz roasted barley
- 4.62 AAU Brewer's Gold hops
- 1 tsp irish moss
- 1/8 tsp of yeast nutrient
- Mexican lager or European lager II yeast (but we used Safale US-05 dry ale yeast per there recommendation)

HOWEVER!!!!
I wanted to experiment and so I added a half ounce of czech hops about 15 mins left in the boil. I steeped the grains much longer (prob close to 20-25 mins vs the 10-15 first time), and boiled the mash about a half hour longer.

Now it may totally fudge everything up and taste like trash juice but my aim was to impart obviously a little more flavor and aroma as well as more fermentable sugars for a higher alcohol content. So we'll see. I did use a hydrometer this time and have the readings at home however I don’t know how to interpret them to figure out the gravity. I'll post them later when I get home and figure it out.

Here's just a couple of pics. Man the house smells awesome right now. Last time it fermented i had to keep it at my bro-n-laws house so i didn't get to enjoy the smell of booze being pumped out all over the house.

boil.JPG

carboy.jpg

Back