My RIMS Control Panel Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gedennis

Reaction score
I decided about 2 months ago that I was tired of the gravity fed system and heavy lifting of kettles full of water, so I began to design a new RIMS system. So far, I have completed my control panel and have my RIMS tube along with the keggles. All I have left is to design and fabricate a frame to house the vessels.

I ultimately wanted my panel to be able to control 2 pumps, a RTD sensor, and an electric heating element. For this I went went a 12 x 10 x 8 metal enclosure I purchased from Auber. Each hole I cut in the face of the panel was 22mm and the square cutout was a standard 1/16 DIN (45x45mm). I was pretty precise in all my measurements in order to make sure everything was properly aligned and spaced out. This is what it looked like with the marking drawn on the face and after I cut all of the holes. Also, I made sure to give them a good scrub with a metal file in order to get rid of any sharp fragments.

After that I sanded off the paint that came stock and painted it with a primer and a rust proof black hammered finish paint. Then, once all the gizmos were put in place it was time to begin wiring. Here are a few pictures of the wiring at various stages of progress.

Once all the wiring was done it was time to put it to the test. Everything worked as planned! From here I added some aesthetic parts. I put name tags to display what each switch was for along with stainless steel metal handles on the face of the panel and the bottom.

I am pretty pleased with how this turned out and can't wait to get the entire system complete so I can finally use the darn contraption. Happy brewing everyone and thanks for taking time to read!:mug:

IMG_2086.jpg

IMG_2112.jpg

IMG_2111.jpg

IMG_2113.jpg

IMG_2155.jpg

IMG_2153.jpg

IMG_2165.jpg

IMG_2168.jpg

IMG_2169.jpg

Very nice almost exactly what I am looking at doing. Thank you for sharing.

Not a problem. I figured people on here would appreciate my work. All my roommates managed to say about it was that I was building a time machine lol. I'll also tell you, I did not have any electrician background. All it took was an immense amount of research and careful planning. Granted, my grandfather is an electrical engineer so I did have him review my work at the end but I managed to not make any mistakes thank goodness.

Did you ziptie your ssr down to the heatsink?
Just a little constructive criticism :)
I'm not too sure how long those zipties will hold up, especially with all the heating and cooling. Plus there should be some positive pressure holding them together. You can get the metric screws at any hardware store and its a very good idea to use thermal grease if you haven't already...
Very clean and organized build though...
My friends laughed at mine and made time machine comments as well.... They dont laugh at the beer though...

+1 for the ziptie's ... European version of duct-tape :mug:

I held a Scirocco exhaust in place for months with those bad boys

a 6mm bolt might be a better choice though

do you happen to have part numbers for the outlets in the bottom of your case? having a devil of a time finding the 120 outlets...

Yup, I got all of the outlets from Auber or Amazon. The flanged inlet as well as the outlet are both 3 pronged 15/20A (I can't remember which) 120V locking receptacles. This is basically what I got, http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003ATVCC8/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

As for the zipties holding down the SSR...definitely a temporary construction design. I haven't brewed with this yet, I just wanted to make sure everything worked properly and of course the heatsink and SSR didn't come with the screws to hold them together. Time for another trip to the hardware store. Certainly won't be my last either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back