My redesigned brewery....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig5_12

Reaction score
WooHoo, I think this link will work for my pics.... http://mybrewery.shutterfly.com/action/

I'm no longer brewing on a 3 tier system and have incorporated a recirculating mash. It was a headache to figure out all the plumbing (mostly the weldless fittings) but the brew day yesterday was great! Only a few minor hiccups that will be improved upon before the next batch. What do you guys think? I think you can add comments to my webpage as well...

I've not used carboys for a 10 gallon batch before and I found it very strange that the two carboys look incredibly different. The left one in pictures has a huge amount of what I assume to be "cold break" while the right one is fairly clear. I didn't change the wort transfer at all so I assumed they would look the same? I guess there was a lot of hop debris near the top of the kettle?

Craig5_12 said:
I've not used carboys for a 10 gallon batch before and I found it very strange that the two carboys look incredibly different. The left one in pictures has a huge amount of what I assume to be "cold break" while the right one is fairly clear. I didn't change the wort transfer at all so I assumed they would look the same? I guess there was a lot of hop debris near the top of the kettle?

I will be curious to hear if you can detect any difference in the taste between the two carboys. I have heard conflicting advice about whether or not it is necessary to remove all the cold break prior to siphoning to the carboy.

Well they are both in very active fermentation. The first one has clouded up a bit due to the activity but it's still not nearly as cloudy as the last one. I'll be interested to see how they taste as well. I've never racked to 2ndary, but I just may with this batch.....or maybe I will with one and not the other.....that might be another good experiment. I'd really like to dial down my brewery like that and figure out what methods work the best for me. Darn....I guess I'll have to brew a lot more.... :)

Craig5_12 said:
Well they are both in very active fermentation. The first one has clouded up a bit due to the activity but it's still not nearly as cloudy as the last one. I'll be interested to see how they taste as well. I've never racked to 2ndary, but I just may with this batch.....or maybe I will with one and not the other.....that might be another good experiment. I'd really like to dial down my brewery like that and figure out what methods work the best for me. Darn....I guess I'll have to brew a lot more.... :)

Damn man, you put all that work into your brewing setup, and have never done a secondary? Secondary both of them, and see if there's a difference.

Not to get on a soapbox, but I'm amazed at how much work people put into their brewing equipment and technique, just to approach fermentation and clearing as an afterthought.

Well, it's not that it's an afterthought, I've done a great deal of thinking about secondary fermentation and don't really see the benefit. I can leave it on primary until it's done, chill it to 34 or so for a few days and then bottle/keg and don't have any issues with that. The brew still comes out pretty dang clear, although with this batch I didn't use a clarifier at all.

Craig5_12 said:
Well, it's not that it's an afterthought, I've done a great deal of thinking about secondary fermentation and don't really see the benefit. I can leave it on primary until it's done, chill it to 34 or so for a few days and then bottle/keg and don't have any issues with that. The brew still comes out pretty dang clear, although with this batch I didn't use a clarifier at all.
KISS
I like it. If it works for you and you're happy with it then why over complicate things.:mug:

I do use secondaries. But I suspect that about 99% of homebrew batches ferement for short enough times that they can be left in primary the whole time without concern for yeast autoylsis or other ill effects.

Honestly, if not for the fact that I usually re-pitch or harvest yeast, I might not bother with secondaries.

Thats my take on it too, why go through the hassle of another transfer? Although there are benefits, I'm not sure I'll always want to incorporate 2ndary. Maybe if I start filtering.
I plan on starting to re-use the old yeast cake but need to do some research first. I think i should just be able to pump the fresh batch on top of the cake and shake it up....right?

My $0.02:

For the rather minor "hassle" of a 10-minute siphon job, you get your brew off the yeast cake/break solids, which minimizes any off-flavors that you might get. I'm not talking about autolysis, either. But whatever works for you, I guess.

Another unrelated question: how much did you spend on that setup, all-told?

looks pretty sweet man! i am in the process of building one myself! $$$! but as for right now we do 28 gallon batches and rack off into 6.5g glass carboys, and every time we do a beer (any style), it is always diffrent colors and clarity, in all the carboys. i myself taste no differance in any of them though!
sweet set up
keep on brewing!

Craig5_12 said:
Thats my take on it too, why go through the hassle of another transfer? Although there are benefits, I'm not sure I'll always want to incorporate 2ndary. Maybe if I start filtering.
I plan on starting to re-use the old yeast cake but need to do some research first. I think i should just be able to pump the fresh batch on top of the cake and shake it up....right?

hell yea, thats how we get are best beers, just putting fresh wort onto are previous yeast!no washing or anything its great! sometimes it is off and looking like a snow globe in just an hour or two!

I'll try a 2ndary with one of the carboys and see if I can tell any difference.

As far as how much I've spent, it's not been nearly as much as it looks. I've been very fortunate with everthing. The kegs came first as a result of throwing a lot of parties back in college with a bunch of roomates and a few friends that worked at a local brewery. I'm not sure exactly how they all arrived but we ended up with 4 in the end. (we also ended up with 6 couches in our apartment?)
I guess the next biggest thing is the stand, and I've got a buddy that owns a machine shop, so it was free and he helps me brew too.
The pump only cost me a 5 gallon batch of brown ale.
The CFWC only cost me about 35 dollars for the solder, torch, joints and garden hose. A previous roomate had bought the copper.
And I've bought all the plumbing and with all the trial and error I've spent about $100 bucks.
The 3, 130k BTU burners were about $110 shipped.
I've also got 2 10gallon kegs and 4, 5 gallon kegs that my uncle in concessions gave to me.
The carboys were also free.
And that sweet Craftsman spatula I use to stir my mash came in my stocking :D

With all the other cleaning supplied and equipment, I've probably only spent about $4-500
Some might say it was just destiny to become a brewer :)

drunken clown said:
i am in the process of building one myself! $$$!

But you already brew in 28 gallon batches! I'd think your setup would already be a bit better. Of course 28 gallons in 6.5 gallon carboys is about 4.3 carboys so that does take up a lot of space!
If I can give any advice, I'd say to keep your eyes open for some great deals. Craigslist is a great place to get stuff as well as garage sales.
Pay special attention to your plumbing (especially if you plan to recirculate your mash) and if you make your own weldless fittings, there are a lot of ways to go, just find something that works well.

My next big project (maybe) will be to heat my recirculating mash and finish my HERMS setup. But I want to convert my wort chiller to help me. A copper in copper wort chiller could be used to heat the mash and cool it down pretty effectively I think. I may just end up using direct heat though.

Craig5_12 said:
But you already brew in 28 gallon batches! I'd think your setup would already be a bit better. Of course 28 gallons in 6.5 gallon carboys is about 4.3 carboys so that does take up a lot of space!
If I can give any advice, I'd say to keep your eyes open for some great deals. Craigslist is a great place to get stuff as well as garage sales.
Pay special attention to your plumbing (especially if you plan to recirculate your mash) and if you make your own weldless fittings, there are a lot of ways to go, just find something that works well.

My next big project (maybe) will be to heat my recirculating mash and finish my HERMS setup. But I want to convert my wort chiller to help me. A copper in copper wort chiller could be used to heat the mash and cool it down pretty effectively I think. I may just end up using direct heat though.

oh yea i always have my eyes open for deals! my whole setup starts at the top of the basement stairs, and moves on down into the basement! i will have pics up hopefully this or next week if this confuses you! but when i get this sculpture together everything should move alot smoother and take the stairs out of the whole prosses!

Nice. Good work. I like the lower profile. One suggestion - run the lauter outlet down to the keggle outlet, so the wort isn't splashing in from the top. Maybe a length of tubing and a couple quick connect fittings.

It is hard to imagine a brewery on your stairs, but it sounds like you know what you're doing!

Pastor, thanks for the suggestion. It's hard to tell in the pics, but I do use a tube to transfer the wort to the bottom of the kettle (to avoid HSA). In the pic of the boil I had already removed the tube. Since taking the pics, I've bent that copper piece so that it points down and doesn't bend my tube anymore.

My setup is nothing like yours.........yet...... :) (NICE setup btw)

here are the pics of my setup on my stairs you was asking about! hopefully you will understand now!

just racking wort off mash tun before we recurculate it!

8102-3-5-07036.jpg

a pic from the top of stairs...

8102-3-5-07038.jpg

gonna take more pics of things next time we brew! (some more in my gallery)

remember this, cuz in a few months it is all gonna be diffrent! im gonna change up the whole yard/deck/ect... to be desinged around my brew sculpture! haha let the work begin!:rockin:

Latest posts

Back