My recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jordanIPA

Reaction score
This is what I have came up with for my first brew. I don't know if all the calculations are correct, so any help would be awesome!

Thank you

image-3772412912.jpg

Why not use equal parts Nugget/Columbus/Amarillo at 0 minutes?

I do like Nugget and Columbus but they are both pretty "earthy" & "Spicy" so the Amarillo would add some piney/grapefruit into the mix in equal parts.

Also, for an IPA consider doing a dry hop. Makes a huge difference. You could keep that hop schedule and than add 1 oz of each of those 3 finishing hops for a 7 day dry hop.

5 oz of what type of sugar? That is actually a bit too much for 5 gallons of IPA...3-3.5oz to carbonate is more to style. Use a priming calculator like this: http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html

One other thing to keep in mind is if you want to bottle close to 5.0 gallons of beer you will need to aim for a 5.5 gallon batch. The hops absorb a lot of wort in the kettle and alot of beer in the fermenter! I made 5.5 gallon Imperial IPA once and ended up bottling only 4.5 gallons!

5 oz of what type of sugar? That is actually a bit too much for 5 gallons of IPA...3-3.5oz to carbonate is more to style. Use a priming calculator like this: http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html

imo 2.3 volumes of CO2 (what that calculator suggests) is too low for an American IPA. but that also depends on your own tastes and your system (I add .50 gallons to my bottling volume when I do my calculations to get the carbonation to come out right).

I like to aim for 2.55 volumes of CO2 for American styles, but I'm sure that others have their own preferences

also, I don't even like that calculator that much. I would double check all of the suggested carbonation levels on that first, before making it part of your recipe

^ Agreed. I tend to use about 4 oz of table sugar for 5-5.5 gal on most of my American style ales and the carbonation is perfect.

Back