my probe turned green

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billybrewer09

Reaction score
I built my keezer last weekend and the probe on my Johnson temp contoler has turned green. Is this a normal or do i need to do something about it.

It's copper corrosion/patina, caused by the dampness. You don't need to worry about it specifically, but you probably want to get the moisture issue under control.

Ahh ok - still caused by dampness as previously mentioned. Install a fan to keep air circulating and moisture down and also pickup some damprid from HD or Lowes.

Best way to control the moisture is?

You cannot eliminate moisture - it's inevitable. But you can keep it to a minimum by keeping air moving. Damprid will help collect any water that does form along the walls.

Thanks for the help. I figured it wasnt a big issue.
What is the best way to control the moisture. I've heard of people using damp rid but not with much luck. I will be installing a fan this weekend.

"my probe turned green"

Man...with a topic line like that I was gonna list links to some of those medical websites on the web.

glad to see it was a different 'probe';)

Later.......TangleFoot-out

Thanks for the help. I figured it wasnt a big issue.
What is the best way to control the moisture. I've heard of people using damp rid but not with much luck. I will be installing a fan this weekend.

Not yet at least - if moisture continues to build it'll eventually pool up in your freezer and could form mold. One other thing I forgot to mention: check very thoroughly for leaks. If outside air is getting in you'll have moisture issues. Easiest way is put a bright light inside the freezer, shut it then see if light comes out anywhere.

I've had good luck using rechargeable silica beads. (bought from online gun supply) They change color as they absorb moisture. When they are spent, you can put them in the oven for 2-3 hours and they are good as new. Much cheaper than damp-rid, which has to be replaced.

Latest posts

Back