My Picobrew Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What cap? I have no cap. I don't pause either. (You're pausing to take a sample? By draining the wort?)

I always take samples when the wort is cycling - once or twice during mashing to check pH and then at the end of the boil to get a gravity reading.

But I'm confused about the cap you mention.

Are you talking about the inline filter on the other (black) line? I don't touch that during the brew. Obviously, the inline filter needs to be cleaned and the filter cap tightened down during each brew. If this is removed, the suction gets screwed up and, yeah, I'd guess it might be messy.

In terms of the clear sample port on the white ball lock (Gas in) side of the keg, I just screw in a syringe, pull a sample, unscrew syringe, squirt in shot glass, and repeat two more times. I do this while the mash is mashing or the boil is boiling.

No adding or removing cap needed, no fiddling with the controls to drain or pause.

The sample port should seal by itself. I don't unscrew or remove anything when taking a sample. A little wort leaks out when I've unscrewed the syringe, but only a tiny bit -- a drop or two. Then it seals itself.

Did they add caps to the sample ports in newer Picos?

BTW -- One way to know if your circulation is messed up -- if there's grain stuck in your white ball lock/Gas in valve is when you go to take a sample and the syringe fills up by itself -- the syringe handle is pushed out by itself. I couldn't figure out why it was doing this -- then it dawned on me. Wasn't circulating right. Cleaned the ball lock, and I was back in business.

Okay I think I'm doing it wrong...or something's up...

On the sample port (Gas in) there's a clear screw on 'cap' which contains the blue seal for I'm thinking a needle syringe??...any way the only way to screw on the syringe that came with the zymatic it is to unscrew this cap (revealing the thread) and then screw on the syringe...

What am I missing here? as I can't connect the syringe without taking the cap off...

My thoughts were that a needle was required but as it didn't come with one thought I'd get some feedback from more experienced Pico folk :)

What ^ said. Yikes- I imagine you had a mess on your hand. I only pull about 1ml for my refractometer.

Thankfully only a few mls came out as I could see what was going to happen if I unscrewed it completely...yeah I have a refractometer too so we're on the same page there.

Okay I think I'm doing it wrong...or something's up...

On the sample port (Gas in) there's a clear screw on 'cap' which contains the blue seal for I'm thinking a needle syringe??...any way the only way to screw on the syringe that came with the zymatic it is to unscrew this cap (revealing the thread) and then screw on the syringe...

What am I missing here? as I can't connect the syringe without taking the cap off...

Sounds like you might have a syringe with the wrong tip. Are you using the sample syringe that came with the system? I think mine came with a 5ml syringe. I bought 10ml from Amazon.

The port is designed to be used without removing anything. You just screw your syringe onto the end, pull sample, unscrew. As I say, it automatically seals back up. That's by design.

These are the syringes I'm using. They work great -- no issues.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BQDFGBS/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you might have a syringe with the wrong tip. Are you using the sample syringe that came with the system? I think mine came with a 5ml syringe. I bought 10ml from Amazon.

The port is designed to be used without removing anything. You just screw your syringe onto the end, pull sample, unscrew. As I say, it automatically seals back up. That's by design.

These are the syringes I'm using. They work great -- no issues.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BQDFGBS/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Yes I'm using the syringe that came with it..and can confirm it looks like the one you've linked to on Amazon...

Hmm...the port is completely smooth so I can't screw on the syringe unfortunately hence why I unscrewed the cap in the first place - I understand that I should be able to take a sample but I just can't see how without unscrewing the cap...!

It's most probably user error but just wanted to get feedback to this somewhat trivial step considering all the other steps involved ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd shoot an email to pico support. Their response time is great. They'll get you back in business ASAP.

Are you pushing the syringe with force into the purple rubber before you attempt to screw it on? That is what I have to do with mjne.

Severum

Are you pushing the syringe with force into the purple rubber before you attempt to screw it on? That is what I have to do with mjne.

Severum

Yeah I just gave it another go just now and as suspected it was a 'user error' as I didn't see the thread the rubber was hiding...screwed right in!

Thanks for the help folks!

I brewed my 4th Pico batch last night, a Helles. Got it cooled all the way to 65 then used my ferm fridge to get it to 50.

Pitched last night.

Curious to see how fermentation goes, as I have never made a true lager style.

I brewed my 4th Pico batch last night, a Helles. Got it cooled all the way to 65 then used my ferm fridge to get it to 50.

Pitched last night.

Curious to see how fermentation goes, as I have never made a true lager style.

Let us know know how it goes! After I get some Belgians done I'll be risking a lager. I'm set in pale ale and IPAs for now. Just need time get he stuff for the brews... And more three gallon kegs!

I've spent the last four brews using the Belle Saison yeast -- attempting to brew some nice, light, peppery beers for summer. Nothing kegged yet -- but the results out of the first fermenter -- just pilsner, wheat, and about .75oz midnight wheat for the reddish color -- is fantastic.

Gonna brew about 2 or 3 more and then switch to fine tuning a pale ale recipe -- just 2-row and C40 with different combinations of hops.

BTW -- I'm using RiteBrew.com's grain selector to buy exact recipe amounts. It's fantastic -- and shipping is incredibly fast (and cheap) -- but I'm wondering: are there any more shops that let you buy exact -- to the ounce -- amounts of grain online? I hate having to buy 1 pound bags of whatever -- and then only using a quarter or half the bag. Even though I try to use everything I have, I always end up with extra.

I'm also interested in knowing this. Grains as an add-on to a keg order at AIH is a no brainier in terms of cost. But I do miss BMW.

AFAIK, Ritebrew is the only one doing this -- and, as I say above, they do it very well. Their quick grain select is fantastic. I essentially buy everything there now. But there's a lot of specialty grains they don't have -- peat smoked or biscuit, for example -- so I end up buying some stuff elsewhere -- NB, Midwest, etc. -- and then combining.

Yeah -- BMW was great. I'm surprised NB and Midwest don't offer this. Seems like a no-brainer.

AIH does the exact amounts, and with the loyalty points it's a no brainer for me. When you build your cart, you can select as low as .125 lb.

I used to only use Austin Home Brew, as they will build a bag for you with exact amounts and crush them together. You receive one bad with your recipe ready to dump.

Interesting.

My step filter has started to crack around the some of the interior seams. This is my second step filter -- I had the same issue with my first filter. Pico replaced it -- no prob.

Anyway, I sent an email to Pico support and they indicated that they'll replace this one, too -- free of charge -- which is awesome. Pico also indicated that they're in the process of sourcing new, sturdier filters.

The other interesting issue is that they indicated that I *shouldn't* PBW clean frequently -- only occasionally if flow is restricted. Normal Pico tabs (or dishwasher tabs) should be enough for every 3-5 brews or so. Not sure I totally get this -- but I guess PBW is somewhat caustic? Although I can't believe a dishwasher tab is any *less* caustic.

All is well, though -- my current step filter is workable (although it appears to leak a little bit) and a new one is on its way.

IMG_6194.JPG

That is disconcerting... but I could see how PBW might be more caustic with plastics than dishwasher tablets. Hopefully that doesn't continue to happen - I'd be pretty disappointed if that to mine!

Haven't brewed since my brewing mishap. Did pull the dry hops out of my kegs (Mosaic/Maris Otter SMaSH and the didn't start for 48 hours Session IPA.) and they're both delicious! Both of these I did my final hop additions directly in the keg.

Greetings PicoBrewers!

To clarify on this matter:

Please refrain from using PBW and other alkaline cleansers during your machine's cleaning cycles. As a fellow homebrewer I understand the reasoning behind wanting to use PBW, it is an amazing product and is great for cleaning darn near everything including the kegs that you use with your Zymatic, however we have noticed a pattern developing where step filters have been cracking after users have ran a cleaning cycle with PBW.

Generally we only recommend using PBW when a user has not ran any cleaning cycles after brewing several batches or there is an obvious reduction in machine performance.

The Zymatic cleaning tablets have been specially formulated for PicoBrew by Craftmeister, who make many fine homebrew related cleaning products including Iodophor and BLC.

Non-scented dishwasher tablets are an acceptable alternative as well, however please do not use the gelpacks as these can clog the internals.

Also, it is great for sanitizing your serving/carbonation kegs and transfer hoses, however please do not ever run a StarSan solution through your machine. This is unnecessary as the heat generated during your brew cycle will sanitize the machine for you and we are unsure of the long term effects of StarSan on the components of the Zymatic.

I hope that this has answered any questions you may have. If you have any further questions, or you have a cracked step filter or another damaged component, please send an email to [email protected] so that we can get you taken care of.

Cheers!

-Kevin

Thanks Kevin! One question though. Your message is a little confusing as you initially say refrain from using PBW, and then seem to suggest it is OK to use it waif there has not been a cleaning cycle for a few batches. Is it Ok to use PBW every few batches or should we avoid it all together?

Thanks

Greetings PicoBrewers!

Please refrain from using PBW and other alkaline cleansers during your machine's cleaning cycles.

-Kevin

Thanks for the clarification. This helps quite a bit!

The issue I ran into was that the Pico cleaning tabs worked okay -- but when I used PBW it did, indeed, strip all the gunk out of the machine that the cleaning tabs failed to remove.

So is the takeaway here that PBW is a last resort? Only if you have -- or think you have -- pump/water flow issues?

Not an owner here but I've been watching this with interest. Maybe there needs to be a way to clean it without the grain basket?

Greetings PicoBrewers!

Please refrain from using PBW and other alkaline cleansers during your machine's cleaning cycles. As a fellow homebrewer I understand the reasoning behind wanting to use PBW, it is an amazing product and is great for cleaning darn near everything including the kegs that you use with your Zymatic, however we have noticed a pattern developing where step filters have been cracking after users have ran a cleaning cycle with PBW.

Generally we only recommend using PBW when a user has not ran any cleaning cycles after brewing several batches or there is an obvious reduction in machine performance.

The Zymatic cleaning tablets have been specially formulated for PicoBrew by Craftmeister, who make many fine homebrew related cleaning products including Iodophor and BLC.

Non-scented dishwasher tablets are an acceptable alternative as well, however please do not use the gelpacks as these can clog the internals.

Also, it is great for sanitizing your serving/carbonation kegs and transfer hoses, however please do not ever run a StarSan solution through your machine. This is unnecessary as the heat generated during your brew cycle will sanitize the machine for you and we are unsure of the long term effects of StarSan on the components of the Zymatic.

I hope that this has answered any questions you may have. If you have any further questions, or you have a cracked step filter or another damaged component, please send an email to [email protected] so that we can get you taken care of.

Cheers!

-Kevin

How about the Oxyclean Dishwasher Tabs?

I just received some of the official Picobrew cleaning tabs and just wanted to report they are NOT the same as powerball dishwashing tabs. The official ones are made by Craftmeister and don't have a red ball. Haven't used one yet so no idea how well they work.

Question for everyone. Because of the small batch size are you still making a starter and building up or just pitching the packet, vial or smackpack? Seems to me that the smaller batch size wouldn't need a starter but just checking anyway

No starter needed and I've brewed a big high abc last time around. pitch and go.

Severum

Good deal I hate messing with starters. Did anyone else order from AIH and if so how long was your order in "processing" before you got a shipping tracking number? The wait is killing me!

I made a double batch and used a starter just to ensure it really takes off.

Ordered mine from AIH and it drop shipped from Seattle via UPS Ground. Ordered on Friday night, shipped Tuesday, on my door in MN on Friday.

I made a double batch and used a starter just to ensure it really takes off.

Ordered mine from AIH and it drop shipped from Seattle via UPS Ground. Ordered on Friday night, shipped Tuesday, on my door in MN on Friday.

Ordered mine on 10/1 and AIH is saying the Picobrew ships to them then to me but still has not shipped yet! Sad thing is I live 45 minutes south of whereit's shipping from in Seattle

At 499 for the earlybird it is pretty tempting... of course being small it does about 1.3 gallons per batch.

I'm also not sure how easy it is to use your own recipes....

You can't make your own recipes

Yeah - you need to use the PicoPaks. They're offering Zymatic users the ability to be "developers" for kits and then sell the your recipes through them (entry cost was free, I assume they have a vendor licensed to do the PicoPaks) I imagine that is more of an appeal to their commercial brewery customers - I don't think anyone is going to choose BajaBrewer's Mosaic SMaSH over a Rouge something or other. As stated - it only makes 1.3 gallons (5L) which is a whopping 10 pints.

I imagine they're starting with 2 or 2.5 gallon kegs? Unless they advocate using something else as your fermentation vessel the capital outlay on those for the consumers is going to be enormous. Though I would like to see them drive the cost of new 2.5 gallon kegs down to $40/ea by doing a huge order of them for Pico and Zymatic customers. I know, keep dreaming right?

In other news, if they do upgrade the UI to look anything like what they have on the computer screen here from the kickstarter, I'll be pretty stoked.

Dg0eZn0.gif

If I could use it just like the bigger version I'd jump on the 499 price right now.

Bummer.

Back