My own observations (opinions) about SN Bigfoot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chadwick

Reaction score
The first time I tasted SN Bigfoot I was blown away. I never tasted such a delicious combination of dank earthiness, hops, malts, and flavor. I was lucky in some respect. My first SN Bigfoot was from 2012, apparently a good vintage year. More importantly, it was a 6-pack (yes, they were in 6-packs then), that had sat on the shelf of the local beer store for a very long time. The owner even thanked my for buying them. They claimed everyone else was put off from the price and they couldn't sell them. They were about $13 for the 6'er then.

The point of this being, that 6-pack had some age on it. At least 6 months or more of age. It was wonderful. I immediately knew this was the beer I love most. I ended up buying all of the stock this store kept. In fact, they told they wouldn't have re-ordered more it not for me.

Eventually the supply ran out and I was stuck waiting for the next years vintage. When it did finally arrive, it wasn't the same. I didn't finish what I bought and forgot about them in the closet. When I did finally rediscover them, about 9 months later, I chilled one and opened it up to rediscover that wonderful flavor I remembered.

Folks, allow this beer to age. Buy it and put it away and forget about it for at least 6 months or more. It doesn't really shine for the glory it is unless it's aged. The taste difference is truly night-and-day.

Inspired by this, I've found many of my own strong ales and barleywines exhibit this same characteristic. They might be good at 3 months, but they are divine at 6 or 9 months.

It's a lot to ask, I know. To brew a beer and then restrain yourself from drinking it for at least a half year. The kicker is, how many times have you opened a bottle of "that strong ale" you brewed, that one bottle you found that you misplaced, only to be amazed at how incredible good it is? It tastes so much better than your remembered. It makes you smile to know you brewed this beer. But you wonder why you didn't feel this way about it when it was fresh? Aging is the key.

I'm a huge fan of "aging it". Time heals all wounds, but if it was never wounded in the first place, it just gets better.

Speaking truth. Cellar them and enjoy them. Try cellaring Deshutes Jubel ale for a year. You won't be disappointed. Now I buy a whole case ob jubel and wait a year before I pop a top.

Good advice. I've been buying sixers (and now 4-packs) of Bigfoot for years and enjoying 1 bottle fresh and saving 3 for a year or more later.

I age at least 12 a year. Do a 6-year vertical on New Years Eve or my birthday. I'd say 3 years, and 6+ tend to be amazing.

But this year...oh my is it good. I have bought at least a 4-pack a week since December. I'm going to kick myself when distribution ends but I'll just brew up my own at that point.

This was the first year I had a hell of a time finding ANY Bigfoot. I"ve been drinking it since 2006 or so and it had always sat on the shelf until July or August. I was lucky enough to find 1 four pack this year so I'm cellaring a bottle. I also found the oaked Bigfoot as well that I"m waiting on a special occasion to drink. The bottle says it was aged for almost a year before it was released. I'm excited to drink it one day!

Bigfoot is by far one of my favorite beers!

The whiskey bigfoots really need some age. I didn't think this year's was anything special so I didn't buy an extra to age. I got a 2013 I was really fond of still aging. Who knows when I'll break it out

This was the first year I had a hell of a time finding ANY Bigfoot. I"ve been drinking it since 2006 or so and it had always sat on the shelf until July or August. I was lucky enough to find 1 four pack this year so I'm cellaring a bottle. I also found the oaked Bigfoot as well that I"m waiting on a special occasion to drink. The bottle says it was aged for almost a year before it was released. I'm excited to drink it one day!

Bigfoot is by far one of my favorite beers!

I haven't been able to find any Bigfoot this year in Kentucky either. Fortunately, my brother in Cinci came to save the day. I brewed up a beer based on his description of a perfect beer with a promise to give him half the batch. He thanked me by providing me 3 4-packs of Bigfoot and another 6-pack of another ale I love and haven't been able to find. Apparently, Bigfoot is being sold at every quick-mart in Cinci. He says it's everywhere there.

The whiskey bigfoots really need some age. I didn't think this year's was anything special so I didn't buy an extra to age. I got a 2013 I was really fond of still aging. Who knows when I'll break it out

Noted. I've never had it before so thanks for the heads up. I'm really looking forward to drinking it. Like you, I have no idea when I'll break it out but I guess that's part of the fun :ban:

Back