My OG not up to par?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfouty

Reaction score
I recently brewed a batch of Irish Red Ale from Northern Brewer. It was an extract kit.

The OG it was supposed to have was 1.044 and my OG came out to be 1.038.

I'm curious to know if that is a big difference? What changes in the end product? And finally, what could have gone wrong during brewing so I can prevent it next time?

Thanks again for the help everyone! Cheers!

I recently brewed a batch of Irish Red Ale from Northern Brewer. It was an extract kit.

The OG it was supposed to have was 1.044 and my OG came out to be 1.038.

I'm curious to know if that is a big difference? What changes in the end product? And finally, what could have gone wrong during brewing so I can prevent it next time?

Thanks again for the help everyone! Cheers!

The ABV will be a little lower.
My guess is that you inadvertently added a little too much water.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

A little to much top off water or your sample was from part of the wort lower in sugars. Longer aeration/mixing will help take care of this.

I topped off to exactly 5 gallons because I marked it off. Unless a half inch of extra water in the carboy could've changed it that much.

I aerated it for a good 5 minutes before taking the hydrometer reading and then pitching the yeast.

I did have a problem with boiling it on the electric stove though and had to switch to a propane burner after about an hour of trying to boil the water and specialty grains on the glass stove. So I think a lot boiled off. I added some more water but maybe that did something.

A little extra water wouldn't effect the gravity that much.

Most likely it just wasn't well mixed. Unless you used grains you should hit your numbers fairly close as long as the volume is accurate enough.

One thing I like to do is add most of my top off water first and then add my wort. I figure it works similarly to adding priming sugars and then siphoning on top, which mixes it well.

I also stir the heck out of it and take my gravity reading a bit later.

Thanks guys! I have a glass carboy but I'll be sure to mix it up more!

Back