My OG is way too high

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badcat68

Reaction score
I ran my recipe through a brew calculator and it was supposed to yield an OG of .1083, but what I got was .1170! I pitched my yeast starter anyways and added a tie down strap to my bucket lid to be safe. It's bubbling away like a machine gun but I get the feeling that I'll be pitching more yeast soon. Anyone have this happen? If so, what happened with the beer other than extreme alcohol levels? I pitched white labs cream ale yeast, started with 2 cups of briess light dime on a stir plate for three days.

Btw...any recommendations on a good calculator? Lol

Extract or all grain? If extract, it is very possible that the extract just wasn't all mixed well. Also, are you sure your hydrometer/refractometer are adjusted to 0 with water?

Recipe and process would help.......
Extract or AG? If extract with top off water then your OG is what the recipe says it is assuming you hit your volumes properly and you got a very poor mix of water and wort.

If AG then we need the entire recipe, mash, volumes, temperatures, pH pre-boil and post boil info, etc as there are way to many variables to make assumptions:)

I got it figured out. I took the reading prior to mixing the boil with the other 2.5 gallons of water. After adjusting the calculations, I end up with 1.098 OG. My jaw dropped when I saw the hydrometer pop up as high as it did.

Thanks for the quick replies guys.

Back