My next step in brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

megamanisrad

Reaction score
Hi all, I have been brewing for a year now and all I have been using are the pre made wort kits. It's fairly simple as all you do is add water and yeast and you are good to go. I would like to start experimenting with recipes, ingredients, etc. Can you suggest some easy recipes I can follow along with simple ingredients? Any recipe is fine. I am going to the LHBS tomorrow and would like to have a list by then.
Thanks!!

How about some extract kits from AHS or NB or another online vendor. You get the full experience of steeping and a boil but still don't have to worry about recipe formulation.

Hi all, I have been brewing for a year now and all I have been using are the pre made wort kits. It's fairly simple as all you do is add water and yeast and you are good to go. I would like to start experimenting with recipes, ingredients, etc. Can you suggest some easy recipes I can follow along with simple ingredients? Any recipe is fine. I am going to the LHBS tomorrow and would like to have a list by then.
Thanks!!

Buy "Brewing Classic Styles" it has a lot of extract and grain recipes and discussion of the recipe building process. They will probably have it at your LHBS. To get you started, here are some of the recipes from the book:

http://beerdujour.com/JamilsRecipes.htm

Do you have equipment? I guess you have fermentors, since that's all you've been doing, but do you have a boil kettle, good thermometer, etc.? Do you have an extract or all-grain setup?

Your LHBS should have a selection of extract kits. Probably Brewer's Best. They should also have a book of all-grain recepies if you have the equipment. Just talk to the worker at the LHBS, they should be able to get you what you need!

When someone posts a "what's my next step" thread, I usually post about my progression, not that I think it's the "right way" but it kind of overlaps both technique and knowledge.

If anything it will give you an overview of different methodolgies in brewing.

And may give you some ideas of where to go next.

My favorite part of brewing is coming up with recipes. I do a lot of experimental brewing. And I've won a few awards for some of my recipes, so this is how I got there.

The next step many make for cooper's style kits is to using an extract with steeping grains kit/ They are better quality and the steeping grains give the beer bigger depth of flavor than a straight extract beer.

After I did some of those, I started playing around with non kit recipes from this site, and I also started playing around with recipe formulations....I started using free online recipe calculators like this one, Beer Calculus . homebrew recipe calculator which helped me understand how the different ingredients affect each other. FIrst I started typing in these recipes and playinig with them to see what a pound of such and such grain did to the SG of the beer, or how this hop made the beer more or less bitter.

At the same time I started reading more and more about the different ingredients I was using....I found that googling the names helped get me a lot of info on them, plus reading articles and catalogs and books about it.

The BJCP style guide was a big help too, learning the numbers, OG, FG, IBU, SRM's ranges for different styles. BJCP Style Guidelines

Next I formulated a couple of my own recipes and played around with that, making them better or different.

My next step after that was transfering some of my recipes from extract to partial mashes, where I would get the largest amount of my fermentables from mashing my own grains, and then adding some extract.

Around this time I also played with harvest my own yeast, both washing and bottle harvesting.

After that I made a cooler and started doing 2.5 gallon All grain brews, converting those Partial Mashes to All grain, and brewing them on my stove top...

After that I got a turkey fryer and wort chiller so I can do full volume boils and started brewing all grain, brewing some of the recipes on here, and creating my own...

I also still do some extract with grain recipes, Partial Mashes, and 2.5 gallon stove top brewing, depending on my mood.

This winter I tried my hand at brewing lagers instead of ales, since I discovered a few that I like and was able to have some form of temp control....

I also tried my hand at brewing some strong ales, and playing with different yeasts, then my usually clean ones, trying yeast that added their own character to the beers.

A good thing to do is to try brewing Single Malt and Hop Beers where you brew very simple beers to get an idea of how different hops work with them, or different yeasts...it's a really good way to again get an idea how, like cooking, diffeent ingredients play off of each other.

As you can see, I didn't just jump from one technique like extract to all grain, I also tried to learn as much as I could about ingredients and recipe creations as well.....An I also tried to perfect my processes, like bottling, yeast harvesting, things like that...

I still have a long way to go, there's a ton of stuff to learn, different ways to brew to explore, and new styles to try and brew as well...

There's a huge amount of things you can do in this hobby.

The biggest thing that helped me was like I said using software and tyoing established recipes even the ones of the kits I brewed into Beer calculus. Also introduction in the byo 150 clone recipe special edition helped me understand immensely. Also books like radical brewing and Designing great beers help as well.

I hope this helps :mug:

Your LHBS might have kits set up with the grain, hops, malt, etc.. I know mine does. They should be able to help you find the right one for your taste.

You can look at the recipes posted at the top of the forum list. There's a lot of them,from AG to extract in there. You should find something you like & would be comfortable with doing. They're listed by style & what type of brewing was used.

Wow, thanks for your input everyone! I have all necessary equipment (i.e. stock pot, thermometer, etc) so I think I will make the jump to extract brewing. I am an ale fan, but I would love to just brew the basic styles and build from there. Maybe a straight up lager and ale kit to begin?
Thanks again for your input! I feel more prepared to go to the LHBS! I would rather get your guys' opinion, as I've talked to a few guys at this particular LHBS and they didn't really know what they were talking about :(

Lagers ferment around 50 degrees. I would stick with an ale for a while unless you have something that will keep the temperature around 50 like a fridge or freezer with a temp controller.

Lager is actually a style that requires advanced techniques. Ales are the best starting point. You have the basics of fermentation down, but it looks like you need to learn the other basics of brewing still. The best place to start is definitely some extract kits where everything is premeasured with easy instructions to follow. As stated before, your LHBS should have some Brewer's Best extract kits. Start there. They make about 50 different varieties. Get whichever type of Ale you enjoy and follow the instructions!

Besides the recipe section on this site. Online vendor like northernbrewer have their recipies on their site. You should be able to find a recipe and then find the ingredients at your LHBS.

Back