My next brew! (Mango IPA)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ttolzien

Reaction score
Mango IPA

Ingredients

15 lb American 2 row grain
2 lb American Caramel grain
1 oz magnum hops
2 oz centennial hops
3 oz citra hops
California ale yeast WLP001
3 lb mango pure

Boil

1 oz centennial 60
1 oz centennial 30
1 oz magnum 30
1 oz citra 10

2 weeks in primary

Rack to secondary
2 oz citra (dry hop)
3 lb mango pure

Secondary for 7-10 days

Bottle

Any advice from anyone with experience brewing with fruits? I can’t wait to make this.

My first brew was the chinook IPA kit from northern brewer but I want to put my own recipe together and try it out. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

Ditch the boil additions, put all flavor/aroma hops in whirlpool/hopstand. Add some more Citra You'll have lots of peachy/mango flavor going on.

Basically the hops get isomerized, leading to more bittering and less aroma. Maximize expensive hops to aroma/flavor. Should play nicely with your mango addition. I used to have a 10 min addition, flameout but just add to whirlpool now with much better results.

With only 3 lbs of mango I wouldn't get my hopes up too high over mango flavor notes. I'd probably bomb more in that ***** if I was looking for some pronounced mango flavor.

I made a mango IPA a while back. I used 5lb of kasar mango pulp and a all citra hop bill. I also used a 1.5lb of lactose.

The problem with mango is too fold. Firstly the mango drys out the beer massively, despite mashing high and using lactose. Secondly the mango sours the beer a lot too, I added sodium bicarbonate to the keg to bring the pH back up but it still didn't rectify the situation.

My advice is don't bother with a mango IPA, if you must use mango extract and stay away from the fruit.

FWIW, I use a secondary for my fruit beers. I usually need the extra space that is freed up by taking the beer off of the trub, and I don't think you have to be super concerned about oxidation because the yeast is still active, especially after you add the mango.

Secondary may not be necessary but sometimes it makes my life a little easier.

I would rethink the hops a bit personally. I made a mango NEIPA with 1 oz Columbus at 60 min, and then lots of Citra & Mosaic in the whirlpool and two separate dry hops. These flavors worked really well.

I would also scale the caramel malt way down, maybe 0.5 lbs.

Be aware that it takes a lot of mango to make a noticeable impact. I used 5 lb and the flavor was subtle. It also soaked up a lot of beer so I got 1-1.5 gallons less in the keg that I normally do. Its an expensive and ambitious beer, but worth it if turns out well!

UPDATE: I took a lot of this info into consideration and decided to try a blood orange ipa rather than mango. I will post a photo of it and details later.

Back