my newly planted hops are dieing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

F_R_O_G

Reaction score
I don't know what to do, I'v planted 3 hops and have been watching them grow. one has grown almost a foot but the 2 others are no more than an inch. I'v noticed that the plants are starting to yellow and the 2 smaller plants have not grown at all in the last 10 days and are almost brown. i'v watered them at least every other day, except when it rains. I think they might not be getting enough sun but there's nothing i can do about that now.

Is there anything I am missing? help me save my plants

Are you fertilizing them at all? Its possible your soil is crap and in addition to not enough sun they are just dying...try hitting them with a dose of miracle gro and see what happens.

Depending on the variety, it might be a bit early in the year. In So. Cal, Cascades are 6 feet, but Santiams are only an inch or two.
What variety are they?

Also, if they're small and it's not hot, you're over-watering them. When they're growing a foot a day they need lots of water, but when they're not growing yet, you can drown them.

Cascades. I did put them with gardening soil mixed in. I planted them on the south side of the house in a 10' by 3' bed.

we got more sun this weekend but I don't see them getting any better

How close to the house.. and what type of foundation is your house and how old is it?

Older concrete foundations can make nearby soils very alkaline ...

gardening mix? is it like potting soil or is it intended to go into a garden for tilling deep and composting. Fresh manure and other fresh fertilizer can easily burn roots ....

Its possible you over watered them...if you can carefully pull back some of the soil near the rhizome you can try to see if the rhizome is soft and spongy, which means its rotting from being overwatered.

the plant bed is right up against the house but the foundation is brick from the 1960s. maybe the brinks can leach into the soil to? what would I do if the ground is to alkaline?

I mixed 50/50 of this and my yard soil http://www.lowes.com/pd_12796-446-7...L=?Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo=

after digging in the dirt for a while trying to find the root it felt stiff like a green twig. I don't think I'm over watering them. while I was digging I noticed more shoots coming out of the ground, all yellow :(

shoots will be off white or light yellow until they break the surface and get exposed to sunlight.

I would suggest buying a soil test kit just to have a better idea of your substrate. As for adding beneficial nutrients I would go with bone meal and blood meal and a good potash tea but that is if you prefer more of a organic approach. Like mentioned above it is easy to over water something without actually knowing you are doing it. Watering every day or every other day is a camp i never followed, judge by eye and feel or even buy a water meter. Last year i watered my entire garden maybe seven times the rest was rain..Looked like a jungle.

I buy them from a local grow shop but it looks like wally world sells them as well.

Back