My newest batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtvinny

Reaction score
:rockin: I whipped up a batch last night of well I don't know what to call it but here's the ingredients.
Please feel free to comment on technique, ingredients etc.

1 lb. extra light DME
1 lb wheat DME
1 can frozen Bacardi Daiquiri mix (water, high fructose corn syrup and fruit juices)
1/2 tsp almond extract
1 Gal of apple juice (no sugar added, from concentrate)

I boiled the DMEs until they started to boil over (about 6 minutes IIRC), pucker factor shot up and i took them off the heat. I pulled about 4 oz out for a starter, and to that I added 8 oz of water and pitched the yeast (Nottingham brewers yeast) I put the pot in the sink and added the Bacardi Peach to help cooling. Added water from my primary (an absopure 3 gal spring water jug) for a total of about 1.25 gallons now. I then transferred to everything to the primary and added 1 gal of apple juice, aerated by shaking for a minute and when cooled sufficiently pitched the yeast.

I sampled some after taking the OG (1.068) and it was GREAAAT! I can't wait until it attains the ability to make me "don't worry be happy." I'll update as it progresses.

When I checked this morning the airlock was bubbling away (about 9 hours after pitching the yeast)

On a side note I have another "cider" that finished in less than two weeks. The fruit dropped to the bottom and the yeast has settled and it is clearing nicely. I have been sampling it the past couple nights
with sprite and it is pretty nice. I did not take an OG but the TG is below 1.

edit: I tried checking the gravity today but the fluid level was so low that I didn't get enough liquid in the wine thief to float the hydrometer. It sank down to about 1.026 but that is where is bottomed out. There is still airlock activity but I think that I am within a couple of days now. I really like the flavor at first but was thought that the almond was missing but low and behold it was in there lingering. I am happy with this so far. Question- How clear does a wheat beer get before you bottle? Is it just a matter of preference?

Hello jtvinny,

Well I am saying this with out the experience of ever bottling. I started right off with kegs so really don't know. I like the hazz so I try to shake mine up a bit before I pour. lol

On the Cider, I am trying my first one this weekend, I have 10 gallons of Cider and 2 Gallons of Cherry for color, Never thought of adding the peach or almond. Good idea, I will give it a go.

How is it tasting now day? Or is there any left?

jtvinny said:
Anyone? Anyone?
I'm not even going to comment...This is like asking what SWMBO means...You're just asking for every smart ass comment on the web
I would like to see feed back about this...beer...errr...cyder...errr...beerider??? If and when it gets sampled.

I snuck some out with the thief last Tues or so, problem is that it is such a small batch that when I dropped the hydrometer in the thief it dropped straight to the bottom. There was not enough liquid to let the hydrometer float. Dang! might as well see what it tastes like then.
So here is my not so technical report:
Like a sweet heffe-weissen with the peach taste in the background. I was actually expecting the almond to come through as well and was disappointed until I swallowed the the first sip and then the almond was apparent.

In hindsight I'm sure I didn't use the best yeast for this but the one benefit of being a n00b is that i don't go into an assembly with expectations- it's kinda hard to be disappointed that way. As I get better I can see myself missing my mark more often. It's kinda hard to miss when you don't aim for anything. :cross:

I'm all for experimenting but why are you trying to ferment these strange concoctions? If you want experienced brewers to comment and help you, than you should try learning the basics of brewing with some tried and true (drinkable) recipes. I do not want to dissuade you from creating your own recipes but just because you CAN ferment something doesn't mean you SHOULD ferment it. Frankly, you can ferment Yak piss but why would you?

I've read your posts and love your enthusiasm but have a hard time commenting on recipes that are so off the wall I can't imagine drinking it. Cider = apple juice + yeast. Yes, you can move on from there by adding flavors but learn to make a good cider first. BTW, good cider is not a week long process, it takes months.

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh but I would love for you to create a really great beverage that you could brag about to other brewers. Great drinks are usually not made by adding whatever is in your cabinet but by using solid recipes.

the one benefit of being a n00b is that i don't go into an assembly with expectations- it's kinda hard to be disappointed that way. As I get better I can see myself missing my mark more often. It's kinda hard to miss when you don't aim for anything. :cross:

Insert rant here (if you read it before the edit you'd understand)

Update-
I bottled this tonight after the gravity was steady at 1.01 I also came up with a name for it. Ready.....

Pfirsich-Apffalsch
Weißbier

It is nice, the sweetness of the peach plays nicely off the tartness of the apple and the wheat just gives it the indulgent "I'm eating frosted mini wheats" satisfaction. I plan on drinking this one as soon as it carbs. Next time i am definitely doubling the batch so that I can fill more than 18 .5l bottles.

Picture-1.jpg

So here it is at about 7.6% ABV. To my naive, n00b taste buds it's great. I feel like it's equivalent to (a not the version of) rice crispy treats of fermented goodness. The reason I say that is because it was really a no boil beer/cider. It was quick to ferment and took no aging for the ABV. I am not just stroking my ego though- I would like to send a few of these off to have some experienced brewers try them. Edwort is the first that comes to mind because it was inspired by his Apfelwein and it has a German name-

Pfirsich-Apffalsch
Weißbier

That doesn't look too bad. I would even be interested in swaping for one if you hadn't gone and put high fructose corn syrup in it, but some would call me a bit of a health nut.

As far as Wits go, I like a yeasty brew. And bottle after fermentation is complete. That lees will drop like a rock after a week or so at refrigeration temp. Then its up to the drinker to determine how many if the yeasty beasties he or she wants to put down.

Latest posts

Back