My new beer workout!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

punk_rockin2001

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I decided it was time to cut back and lose a few pounds. So naturally beer and other foods were dramatically cut back for a while. I decided until I got to my goal weight beer would be limited to Friday and Saturday only. Well even though all my brews are down in the basement I can still hear their sweet whispers all week long and I made a deal w/myself. I can have 1 beer for every 50 pushups, 50 situps and 50 curls I do. So far its worked beautifully! I'm down 7 pounds and I still get to enjoy some delicious brews during the week. Win win for both of us!:ban:

I too have been trying to lose some weight again this year. I was down to 208. I have been doing two-a-days, and working my ass off. as a reward, I have allowed myself to have just a few beers this week. I jumped up 6 pounds for the effort :confused::confused::confused:

Pisses me off, I look at a beer and gain weight. And, I have been eating extremely healthy so thats not it. (Wow, do I sound like a girl?) :(

I too have been trying to lose some weight again this year. I was down to 208. I have been doing two-a-days, and working my ass off. as a reward, I have allowed myself to have just a few beers this week. I jumped up 6 pounds for the effort :confused::confused:

Pisses me off, I look at a beer and gain weight. And, I have been eating extremely healthy so thats not it. (Wow, do I sound like a girl?) :(

haha, I know exactly what you mean! A buddy is doing the same kind of thing with me, and last week we decided to "let loose" and had about 4 beers each. We also gained 4 pounds each that night. Very annoying. But keep up the effort my friend, because you can lose the weight, its just not nearly as fun as putting it on!:mug:

I try to limit my beers so that it equals the number of calories I burn on the treadmill. Every 15 minutes that I run is a beer that night. If I skip the gym I am skipping beer too. It's a great motivator and can run an hour easily now. :lol: The rest is watching what I eat to something reasonable.

I've lost about 20lbs since I started homebrewing about a year ago. I'm thinking it cause pints are a little heavier to lift than those BMC 12ouncers.

I've also cut back to only eating a big ass dinner and drinking only beer and coffee(black).

haha, I know exactly what you mean! A buddy is doing the same kind of thing with me, and last week we decided to "let loose" and had about 4 beers each. We also gained 4 pounds each that night. Very annoying. But keep up the effort my friend, because you can lose the weight, its just not nearly as fun as putting it on!:mug:

A pound of body fat is 3500 calories. I'm sorry, but you can't gain 4 pounds from four beers.

I gave up beer (actually alcohol and caffiene) for Lent. Only down about 5 lbs but better than nothing. Besides, don't want the wife to think I lost weight just because I stopped drinking beer!

Is it April 12 yet?

I went to Mardi Gras two years back and gave up alcohol for Lent, made it to St. Patricks day and gave up. No will power.

On topic though, I am about to start swimming again so that i can enjoy my beer. I figure that if I can go for a half an hour two time a week then I will be burning some serious calories. If you have never swam laps, try it some time. It is going to be hell for the first month but after that you will be amazed at how good you feel. In fact, just try two full laps (down, back,down, back) without stopping and you will see my pain I am about to endure.

I've started looking at making milds and low abv english styles to cut down on the calories. I've also been eyeballing a 3% IPA idea, but dialing in the hop utilization on such a lighter beer will be a little tricky.

Anyone start doing a brewday workout? I mean, with an hour to mash and an hour and a half to boil, that's plenty of time for some pushups :)

Anyone mind if I sit and watch you do your little routine weightloss thingies while I relax, not worry, and have a homebrew?

Cardio works to keep the pounds from beer off, for me,
to the OP of this thread those push ups, sit ups and curls are building/toning muscle you won't see much loss from that

get a second hand stationary bicycle and ride a few miles for every beer

these are just some random ideas

-Jason

to the OP of this thread those push ups, sit ups and curls are building/toning muscle you won't see much loss from that

-Jason

True, but lean muscle is very beneficial overall for weight loss and creating a higher metabolism. When I first started working out regularly I got on a program called the "Testosterone Advantage" which was a program desingned for men. It wasn't to create one of thos "bowflex" bodies you see on the commercials, rather just to make you look and feel like a man, and boost your testosterone levels as well.

I worked out 3-4 days a week, with litte to no cardio. The workouts were strictly weights with little rest to keep your heart rate up. Basically, your got your cardio with your weights. I lost 50 pounds last year with this plan.

I also ate 6 times a day, and had two sandwiches throughout the day, so it wasn't some crazy low carb thing either. In fact, I had carbs at every meal.

Now I am onto a different program, and am actually trying to put on some muscle.

I'm in the same boat. After having lost 30 lb a few years ago, then gaining 20 of them back when I moved back to WI, it was time to start all over again. I'm now down 13 lb since I started 2 months ago. And that's just from keeping track of my food, cutting back significantly on beer, and doing 30 min of cardio 3-4 times a week.

-Jason

Every 10lbs of Muscle you put on burns an extra 500 calories a day. Putting on Muscle is the key to keeping weight off. Cardio only burns calories while you are working out. Muscle keeps burning even when you are not. You should do both and you might find you can stop doing so much cardio all the time.

I went to Mardi Gras two years back and gave up alcohol for Lent, made it to St. Patricks day and gave up. No will power.

On topic though, I am about to start swimming again so that i can enjoy my beer. I figure that if I can go for a half an hour two time a week then I will be burning some serious calories. If you have never swam laps, try it some time. It is going to be hell for the first month but after that you will be amazed at how good you feel. In fact, just try two full laps (down, back,down, back) without stopping and you will see my pain I am about to endure.

I started swimming laps every weekday. For 4 months I swam 1/2 mile every day (12 laps of a 33.3 meter pool I think). Only problem is that by the time I got bored of it I was doing 1/2 mile in 16 minutes, and when you really think about it, that's only like quarter of an hours exercise per day! and when that costs £40 (£80) per month, it's a real waste of money and time. I lost weight for the first week and then just stopped losing it - I stopped swimming after the 4 months and haven't gained any weight since :S
I can't wait until the summer when I can go for a run instead! It's almost here!
H

I started swimming laps every weekday. For 4 months I swam 1/2 mile every day (12 laps of a 33.3 meter pool I think). Only problem is that by the time I got bored of it I was doing 1/2 mile in 16 minutes, and when you really think about it, that's only like quarter of an hours exercise per day! and when that costs £40 (£80) per month, it's a real waste of money and time. I lost weight for the first week and then just stopped losing it - I stopped swimming after the 4 months and haven't gained any weight since :S
I can't wait until the summer when I can go for a run instead! It's almost here!
H

For lower intesity cardio, wich is considered best for fat burn, 45 minutes to an hour is required to get the advantages.

I'm excited about summer as well so I can start hiking Mount Helena again. It takes me about an hour and 15 minutes to get up and back down the mountain. I was doing this three times a week last fall to get ready for hunting season. What a great all around conditioning, and I get to enjoy some peace and quite outdoors. Beats a treadmill hands down.

I love the beer, but would prefer to keep the weight off. I have gained about 5lbs this winter.. In the spring/summer/fall months I do a lot of Mountain biking.. That is by far the most fun working out I have ever had, just be careful on those turns, you can really mess yourself up.. Hopefully the trails will be dry enough to ride soon.

I just did my first swim today and boy oh boy, am I pooped. The key I found with swimming is that if you get bored while doing it, I make up games. Like how I can do a lap faster than the last one, or if I can make it only using my arms.

I got home though and had a little steak and egg burrito. Man was I hungry. So probably it counter balanced itself and I still won't make a difference when I have that beer later. After three months of swimming before, I found that I had more muscle in places that you don't expect it. And more toned all around, rather than just bulking up big muscles in one place.

Last year I was in a Biggest Loser style weight loss competition. When it started I gave up beer for three weeks, worked out like crazy and tracked everything that I ate. I lost a little weight, but not much.

One day I said 'screw it, I'm having a beer.' That week I lost weight. I kept drinking one a night and kept losing... turns out I wasn't getting enough calories and my body was in 'omg we're on a deserted island' mode.

I wound up losing 25 lbs, but stopped paying attention and have put almost 10 back on. Time to start tracking what I eat again...

Yeah, I found that one in PubMed a while ago. Essentially, it's just calories... watch your caloric intake and you'll be fine.

For instance, I'm going to have eaten about 1600 calories today before I go film a few Beer-O-Vision videos, so those Schlenkerla and Guinness EFS will probably put me over my limit. Oh well, it's for SCIENCE!

(it's not, but shut up)

I know for a fact if I were to pay attention to the other foods I eat, beer would not be an issue. The lack of exercise, coupled with not so great eating habits contribute more to my belly than the beer.

It is totally a lack of exercise that makes us all have a beer belly. Sure, eating poorly does too, but the fact that we are a sedentary society is the real culprit. I really like to eat well and cook up some rich food, though it is also good for you. If I did more mac and cheese then I might have to worry about gaining weight that I am otherwise not really exercising away.

Back