My new beer fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zen_Brew

Reaction score
I have been watching Craigslist for a large fridge for several months now. With the NHC coming to Seattle and me being in one of the larger HB Clubs here, the regular competition brewers in the club have being asked by our club to be prepared to brew a bunch of extra beer for the NHC. Well you gotta store it somewhere.

The fridge is a Hussman and the doors have a Mfr date of Feb 1996, so the fridge is prob 1996-97. This fridge came from a vitamin store cleanout, and the guy who had it didn't know if it worked cause it had a cord he couldn't plug in. It was a 120V 20 A plug, but he thought it was a 240V plug. He wanted to get it out of his garage, so I offered him $400 for it if he would help put it on my truck.

It took us and 4 of his neighbors, but we got it on the truck. It was completely dead when I plugged it in, so I thought it might be a power problem. I opened up the junction box inside and the hot lead had corroded through and shorted out. I rewired all the power into a new junction box I put in it and she fired right up. Just got it in the garage this weekend and she's purring away.

The amount of space in it is huge. I'm thinking I can get 15-20 kegs, plus a few lagering carboys, and a couple hundred bottles of beer in there easy. Time to start brewing!!

Fridge_on_truck_1_reduced.jpg

Awesome! That would be a lot of fun to have. I have been trying to score a working free fridge on Craigslist for a while now. The past two have died within weeks of getting them home.

ZB, that is a whole lot of awesomeness! Cheers mate and hopefully I'll see you all next year in the PNW!

Yeah, she eats up a good chunk of floor space in the garage. I made a rolling cart using 2 home depot 1000lb furniture dollies and put some 3/4" plywood on top of them to gang them together. Now I can roll it by myself in the garage.

I told my g/f I couldn't pass the deal up, but really only wanted a 2 door commercial fridge. She said " No, you needed the 3 door, now maybe you won't mention needing another fridge for a couple years" LOL I now have (2) of the counter height kegerators, (1) converted chest freezer, (1) standard fridge with top freezer, and the new 3 door commercial fridge all dedicated to beer and/or hops. The new fridge is going to let me give up one of the counter height kegerators to use as the first stage 50 degree lagering fridge though. So that's good.

To be honest, I hope I'm done buying fridges for a while now also. :D

Back