my mead producing gasses

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meadmaker101

Reaction score
I started to make a maed with oranges and raisins. Its only been 3 weeks and the air bubbles stopped in the air lock. What should I do? Should I add more sugar. Rack it? Or should I just leave it alone and wait one more week till I rack it.

I started to make a maed with oranges and raisins. Its only been 3 weeks and the air bubbles stopped in the air lock. What should I do? Should I add more sugar. Rack it? Or should I just leave it alone and wait one more week till I rack it.
Post the complete recipe, yeast type and all.

Take a hydrometer reading and post that too....

The recipe as follows

1 gal of water
3 lbs of honey
(In a filter bag/sock)
2 oranges-1 cut up into 1/4 slices and one peeled then squeezed to extract the juices from then tossed in the pulp that was left over.
Estemited about 1/8 pound or a little more of raisins

I used cote des blancs wine yest its made by red star.
Im affriad that I may have used to much of it though and im hoping its not because of that. When I was preparing the yest in a cup. I knocked the pakage into the cup by accident and most of it fell out so I tried to scoop some of it out. I got about half of it out.

Unfortunately I dont have a hydrometer at the moment I went my local wine shop and they didnt have any hydrometers the guy will be getting a new shipment 3 weeks from now.

I do know the code des blancs yields low alcohol level I think around 8-10% but I wouldnt think that the mead wouldnt get to that point with in 3 weeks

Three weeks is more than enough for a complete fermentation. You're probably finished, my friend :)

So it should be good to rack it then. Then let it sit for a few more weeks till clears up

Latest posts

Back