My Kegerator Project

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed_Savage

Reaction score
I built this kegerator around Aug. '05. Its a Magic Chef model.. MCBR980W apartment fridge. It was $199.99 on sale at Home Depot. Its the perfect size, and has a little freezer if you like to have your pitcher, or glass frosted.

I originally bought a Sanyo 4912 mini fridge from Best Buy. It was the same price and HALF the size. That really appealed to me at first. After I loaded it up with 2 kegs and the 5lb co2 tank there was zero room and the door wouldn't close. Upon further configurations, I realized that it was gonna need too many modifications for my taste. It was gonna require the whole inside door shelving be ripped out. And also there was absolutely no room above to connect and disconnect the liquid and gas lines. Unless you feel like pulling the kegs out first. I returned the Sanyo 4912 within 2 hours of purchase and got my money back.

I like my Magic Chef. It stands at mid chest level and keeps a low profile in the far corner of my living room. The only reason why I bought a new fridge is because I didn't want an old, leaky, loud, used one in my living room. I also bought two Vent-Matic stainless steel faucets, with the flowgate line system. Everything else was purchased used or bartered for to save money.

There is a cheap place close to my house where you can buy used stainless corny kegs for $16 bucks. I still haven gotten around to getting some nice tape handles, but I'm working on it.

side1.jpg

front6.jpg

inside4.jpg
Door1.jpg

Great looking kegerator! Congrats!

Just to let you know, I have a Sanyo 4912 with 2 kegs, a 5lb CO2 and a spare 2lb CO2 inside it, and love it. But, I do love your set up!

"Vote for Pedro"

mate im in the process of getting 1 of those babys going yours is great. On to the cool handles i would turn 2 out of sheoak an Australian hardwood.:)

Nice setup! I'm running a Sanyo 4912, and while a fridge like that would have been better for the money, I honestly wouldn't have anywhere to put it :eek:

Pedro for Prez!

AHammer16 said:
You just posted those pics to make all of us who do not have one upset. You dirty bastard!;)

I used to drool over all of the other forum posters kegerator pics. Now it's my turn. Neener neener neener! :) Oh and you forgot, Im a RAT BASTARD!:D

Here you go mate

L.O.A 9 1/2 Inch's

Thread Size :- 11/32 can be drilled out

Ferrel Size 1 inch (stainless Steel)

Made out of Australian hardwood Jarrah
BeerHandle.jpg

You made me so jelous that i went out and bought a used fridge. Now i need input on how to make it in to a kegerator. Any suggestions?

How many taps do you want on it? You will need a shank (long enough to go through where you are putting the tap), faucet, beer line, hose clamps, CO2 tank (5 gal +) and connectors for the corneys. I have some pics of my new kegerator in my gallery

anthrobe said:
How many taps do you want on it? You will need a shank (long enough to go through where you are putting the tap), faucet, beer line, hose clamps, CO2 tank (5 gal +) and connectors for the corneys. I have some pics of my new kegerator in my gallery

I like the side access to yours. Thats pretty rad! If it wanst right in my living room, I would have opted for a larger fridge and done something more like yours. Eventually I wanna do something like this!

http://sdcollins.home.mindspring.com/BeerFridge.html

Im not a big fan of chest fridges. I like the standup models myself.

Ed_Savage said:
I like the side access to yours. Thats pretty rad! If it wanst right in my living room, I would have opted for a larger fridge and done something more like yours. Eventually I wanna do something like this!

http://sdcollins.home.mindspring.com/BeerFridge.html

Im not a big fan of chest fridges. I like the standup models myself.

Thanks Ed. I am pretty pleased with how it came out. I still have a couple of small things to clean up on the fridge. I want to move the drain line into the fridge and empty in a container in the lower drawer. Then I need to paint the CO2 tank to match the fridge and finish mounting it. The tap handles on the side really do make a difference when servicing the kegs. No hoses to mess with on the door. You gotta love Landsailors kegerator:D .

This is one that I have been looking at for colder lager fermenting, cold conditioning and eventually kegging homebrew.

What temperature range can you control? Can you get to 34 degrees in the fridge compartment?

Back