My IPA's Krausen using Wyeast #1332

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killerhertz

Reaction score
So I started my 2nd extract brew Saturday morning. I'm brewing an IPA and I decided to primary in my plastic fermenter and secondary in my glass carboy. I have 1 oz whole Cascade for dry hopping in the secondary. I used Wyeast #1332 liquid pitchable.

I woke up Sunday morning and noticed some early signs of fermentation, via CO2 escaping from the airlock. I couldn't really see much because it's one of the usual opaque, white buckets. Sunday evening, about 36 hours after pitching, I noticed the air lock was full of Krausen and it looked like it was about to blow it's lid. Not really knowing what to do, I quickly cleaned and sanitized my siphoning hose. I removed the airlock, sanitized the gasket with a clean cotton cloth soaked in vodka, and stuck the hose into the lid gasket. I immersed the other end of the siphon hose into a tub of water and vodka (a few glugs - lol). It wasn't long until the Krausen made it's way down the siphon hose and murkied up the tub. Nasty.

So I'm pretty sure that some of the air lock liquid (50/50 H20/vodka mix) might have back flowed into the primary when the air lock got full of Krausen. Could this foul everything up? I was under the impression that I shouldn't have to worry about this happening with the 6 gal buckets and 5 gals of wort, but I guess not! Certainly I didn't have this problem with my first extract brew, which was a Steam style kit using dry yeast.

Being that blow-off tubes are used for glass carboys, I'm hoping that it's legit to do this for a plastic bucket too. I'm just hoping nothing got infected or is going to taste off from the buildup of Krausen.

I'm anxious to return home tonight to see the fermentation activity. How long should I expect the Krausen to last? I was planing to rack to secondary. How long should I wait to do so? As soon as signs of fermentation stop?

Thx!
-B

I'd think a 6 gallon bucket would be way to small to use as a primary without the use of a blow off. I currently use a 7.9 gallon bucket and I have had no problems without the use of a blow off. As far as your wort touching the vodka, it shouldn't be a problem since the vodka is ment to kill off any bacteria and/or wild yeast that may come in contact with it. Of course, I could be wrong about that, but from what I have read and my understanding, you have nothing to worry about (I wouldn't :mug:).

I had the same problem with my first extracat brew. I believe my problem came when I airated the wort. Airating the wort created lots of foam, but I just dumped it all into the primary. Once fermentation began the airlock filled up with krausen. For my second and third brews I have airated my wort, and then taken the foam off with a sanitized spoon. Although I do not have much information to go off of it seems to work.

Any thoughts on this approach?

Usually the CO2 is pushing out from the fermentor and will not create a back flow. You have an IPA which has a lot fermentables so the yeast are eating their way to goodness. Keep an eye on it and replace the tube with the airlock when things has subsided. Please wait 10 to 14 days before any transferring to a secondary. Your beer will be fine. It's a learining experience. :)

Blender said:
Usually the CO2 is pushing out from the fermentor and will not create a back flow. You have an IPA which has a lot fermentables so the yeast are eating their way to goodness. Keep an eye on it and replace the tube with the airlock when things has subsided. Please wait 10 to 14 days before any transferring to a secondary. Your beer will be fine. It's a learining experience. :)

Whew, thanks Gary.

Is the 10-14 days based on the brew I'm doing? Or is that when you expect activity to cease? I've read that having too long of a primary can create off flavors if the yeast goes into sedimentation. I imagine I could take a gravity measurement to determine this too? It's hard to tell what's going on with the damn white bucket. Fortunately I'm inheriting another glass carboy soon, yay :p

killerhertz said:
Whew, thanks Gary.

Is the 10-14 days based on the brew I'm doing? Or is that when you expect activity to cease? I've read that having too long of a primary can create off flavors if the yeast goes into sedimentation. I imagine I could take a gravity measurement to determine this too? It's hard to tell what's going on with the damn white bucket. Fortunately I'm inheriting another glass carboy soon, yay :p
I ferment all my beer in primary for 2-3 weeks. Let the yeast do their work and do not go by airlock activity.I would advise to use the hydrometer as your guide..

Blender said:
I ferment all my beer in primary for 2-3 weeks. Let the yeast do their work and do not go by airlock activity.I would advise to use the hydrometer as your guide..

I agree. I dislike using a secondary. I usually go 4-6 weeks primary into a keg.

Back