My insane 25 Gal, 100 Percent Hard Plumbed Tri-Clover, Automated Tippy Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, just FYI. I figured out the problem with my sparge/ recirc tube sinking into the grain bed. It was too short. I doubled the length and it is currently working like a charm ImageUploadedByHome Brew1390250428.668567.jpg

Sorry for the horrible light in my garage

Thank you so much for reading and support!

I think a build like this really is all about timing, and just a desire to build something. I constantly have to be building things or I go stir crazy. Im not really sure what Im going to build next, but hopefully I can take a break for at least a few months.

Thank you so much for reading and support!

I think a build like this really is all about timing, and just a desire to build something. I constantly have to be building things or I go stir crazy. Im not really sure what Im going to build next, but hopefully I can take a break for at least a few months.

I hear ya as the brewery build was winding down I started thinking bout making cheese. So I asked for a cheese press for my birthday and was told "no more projects." I got it for Christmas though, that's good wifing :). I just have to have some project to play with and I've been brewing so long the actual process doesn't make me learn new tricks so it doesn't tickle the project bone.

My next project is gonna be converting everything over to sanke and building a keg washer. I'm the same. It's always something

My next project is gonna be converting everything over to sanke and building a keg washer. I'm the same. It's always something

It's a problem isn't it. I'm not sure what I really want to do next. I think I'm just gonna brew and when I run out of room in my freezer I need to get a conical Or make one. Lol

Kickflip - Nice Build man! I really like the stand. Do have any plans you can share on it, or help me out with some dimensions?

Kickflip - Nice Build man! I really like the stand. Do have any plans you can share on it, or help me out with some dimensions?

I have actually received this inquire a few times, and I'd love to give back to the home brew community like they have been so generous to give to me. The reason I havn't been so quick is I need to space things out about an inch in the plans to get the tippy to fit without modifications. I want to make it so it's easy for people to replicate and not have to spend so much time modifying everything like I did. I designed the stand originally so it will hold 25-50 gallon tanks. But it's slightly oversized for keggles. What size tanks do you plan on using?

I have actually received this inquire a few times, and I'd love to give back to the home brew community like they have been so generous to give to me. The reason I havn't been so quick is I need to space things out about an inch in the plans to get the tippy to fit without modifications. I want to make it so it's easy for people to replicate and not have to spend so much time modifying everything like I did. I designed the stand originally so it will hold 25-50 gallon tanks. But it's slightly oversized for keggles. What size tanks do you plan on using?

I'm using the very popular 20 gal electric Stout Tanks kettles. I started working on dimensions in sketch up last night, and got stuck on the tippy design.

Since your tanks are only 15.75, Ill give you an idea of how to do it since all the dimensions have changed slightly from my design. How wide is your burner portion of your frame?

I plan on making stock plans for both keggle and large tanks like mine, In the mean time I can walk you through this. Because I know how exciting it is to get this done. A few things your going to need for this:

1. welder
2. vice
3. Hammer (I think I used a large wax mallet so I didn't ding the metal)
5. Grinder
6. Drill

Basically all the tools you would need to complete this build anyways.

Since your tanks are only 15.75, Ill give you an idea of how to do it since all the dimensions have changed slightly from my design. How wide is your burner portion of your frame?

It's an electric system, so no burners. I could go with the table like most, but I gotta have the tippy, and like your design.

I was considering 20" wide, 24" tall, and length is TBD at this point.

It's an electric system, so no burners. I could go with the table like most, but I gotta have the tippy, and like your design.

I was considering 20" wide, 24" tall, and length is TBD at this point.

Well with that being said I can show you my design, and you can modify the height of the dump.

to make the band, I took 6' x 3 inch piece of 12g steel, cut a few inches off the total circumference of the pot (3.14 X diameter) drilled the holes for the bolts, then welded the tabs to the band. using a vice grip/ hammer I beat the living crap out of it into the circle shape.

I think next week. I am just putting in the last pilot light today

Good luck. Plan plenty of time and keep it free if distractions as it will take some time to dial things in. My first batch on my new system was a little rough, the second much easier. I expect the third to be smooth sailing.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

As promised, I thought I would share a sketchup of how I designed the tippy dump with lots of notes attached. This design was for a 20g stout tank.

Kickflip, thanks for sharing the dimensions. It got me over the hump trying to figure out the spacing issue for the tippy dump. This gives me enough information to take to a buddy who will help me with the fabrication. Here is my (very beginner) sketch up of the stand, minus all of the detail of the band. Thanks again for helping out! Cheers!
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1391579239.625969.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1391579251.088903.jpg

That looks great! Dont worry about sketchup, I minored in BIM in college. Which is modeling every detail of a building before you build it.lol

Ok so I was running my system tonight and the burners are not getting enough ventilation. Do you think if I cut more vents in my windscreen this might help. I can only turn my burners up 15 percent at the moment.

Ok so I was running my system tonight and the burners are not getting enough ventilation. Do you think if I cut more vents in my windscreen this might help. I can only turn my burners up 15 percent at the moment.

Yep, those burners notoriously starve for air. There has to be enough vent to keep the exhaust from snuffing out the flame. Post a close up of the burner, heat shield and frame.

He's the heat shield. The flame is definitely getting snuffed out ImageUploadedByHome Brew1395419004.288932.jpg I think I'm going to cut two more notches out like I have the one already.

He's the heat shield. The flame is definitely getting snuffed out View attachment 187353 I think I'm going to cut two more notches out like I have the one already.

Be careful regarding the side notches as you'll most likely get way too much heat transferred to an area that you don't want. Consider drilling holes into the back wall of the frame and welding some tubing to support them.... Think vent holes to direct the exhaust out the back of the stand. The other option is to go with the jet tipped burners that seem to do better based on the orifice diversity than the style you currently have. I had a very similar problem with my first Brutus stand and those burners, ultimately the jet tipped burners solved it.

The other option is to go with the jet tipped burners that seem to do better based on the orifice diversity than the style you currently have.

I use three jet burners full open with my furnace valves and never have any problems.
I supply all my burners with outside air (brewing inside) and the only ring burner has air blowing into the air intake without ever blowing out.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

So I had a great brew day, fixed the burners and now they work fine. The one thing is it's not giving me a 100 percent blue flame, more along the lines of 70%. Probably get the jet burners. Also not really a fan of the steel frame or the valves.

On the the valves. I'm not really happy with the fact that they leak a bit and they are threaded. I'm not really into taking them apart to clean before each batch. I may sell them and work on some butterfly valves. One thing I found was using a drill motor or windshield wiper motor possibly with a controller and a butterfly valve. We will see how this all works out in the next few months.

I also need a drop in hop screen... Basically I shot for 15 gallons and ended up with 5 inline clogs... ( I threw whole hops in like an idiot) then ended up with 12 gallons after taking the plumbing apart so many times.

Also the 60l speidel fermenter seems to hold around 17 gallons max.. Good for 15 gallon ales

So I had a great brew day, fixed the burners and now they work fine. The one thing is it's not giving me a 100 percent blue flame, more along the lines of 70%. Probably get the jet burners. Also not really a fan of the steel frame or the valves.
Also the 60l speidel fermenter seems to hold around 17 gallons max.. Good for 15 gallon ales

That is great to hear! Congrats on the christening of your new brew rig.
I have been following this thread for a while now and it is just incredible to see how you have thought through and then fabricated this thing... Thank you for posting it. Your design was my dream goal build for a while there - until I saw marcb and his rig/garage of course. =;> :mug:

Not a fan of the steel frame? I love that design - it looks incredible. What don't you like?
(Edit: I guess you meant the jet burner frame not your frame - my bad :mug: )

So I had a great brew day, fixed the burners and now they work fine.
Congratulations

On the the valves. I'm not really happy with the fact that they leak a bit and they are threaded.
Sounds like BSP(G) not NPT fittings on your motorized valves.
I have a few BSP(G) valves and they required a sh**load of tape and are used with my keg washer.
The NPT I use for water only work without problems.

I may sell them and work on some butterfly valves. One thing I found was using a drill motor or windshield wiper motor possibly with a controller and a butterfly valve.
You can purchase motorized actuators from different manufacturers and adapt them to different valves.

I have some air operated butterfly valves, one I used a Festo brand rotary cylinder..

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

I have 6 valves that need to be replaced. I'm not really a fan of spending 1200 on valves. So I was trying to keep the price to about 600 for all.

Claudius,

Which actuator would you recommend? Do you think I could get away with 35 in# or 53 in# to pair with a 1" butterfly valve?

Back