My Immersion Chiller is Corroding

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRainH2o

Reaction score
Hi all. My nearly new copper immersion chiller is corroding. I'm sure this is normal as it is copper after all. What is the best way to clean the green corrosion off?

I am assuming that copper cleaners are out. How about vinegar? I would hate to ruin a new batch by not properly cleaning it. Thanks as always.

discoloring is normal. i spray mine down with starsan after each use..
if you want it bright and shiny again give it a soak in starsan will look brand new

I fill my keggle with oxy solution and leave my IC in it for about an hour. It comes out shiny, a quick rinse and it's ready to cool.

Also, there's been a bit of discussion here I remember about the dull finish being best. The shiny surface is not what you want going into the wort ideally. If you shined it, up, boil it in some water again to get the dull layer back before using it in the acidic wort.

I wasn't really concerned about it not being shiny. It's the green oxidation that had me worried. I'll at least remove the green areas before I use it again. Thanks.

I've heard that the green is bad and can be poisonous. Sorry, no details as I'm not up too knowlegable about that, just passing along what I've heard. Like others have stated, I'm under the impression that what you want is the dull finish as that forms a protective layer that prevents corrosion, etc.

I've heard that the green is bad and can be poisonous.

Naah it's just copper oxide.
If you have a lot of it there is always the possibility of getting too much copper in your system. That's toxic, but you need a lot of copper and your body can chelate it and excrete it anyway like it can for any of the light or heavy metals

If you have a lot of it there is always the possibility of getting too much copper in your system. That's toxic, but you need a lot of copper and your body can chelate it and excrete it anyway like it can for any of the light or heavy metals

yeast love copper. Its only an issue if you're adding it post ferment.

No the green really is poisonous, but shouldn't be appearing for years. (I think like granny's copper cookware can be dangerous) The other stuff might be a good idea to clean off, since it will all be coming off in the wort, due to it's acidic nature.

http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com/G_VERDIGRIS.HTM

Back