my homebrew gives me HORRIBLE gas.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First off, I', Dutch and seriously wondering where the hell the expression "Dutch oven" came from :p

Second, Do you guys also get that weird churning feeling in the gut just before the more 'prolific' moments?
A Dutch oven is a thick-walled iron (usually cast iron) cooking pot with a tight-fitting lid...During the late 1600s the Dutch system of producing these cast metal cooking vessels was more advanced than the English system...Consequently, metal cooking vessels produced in the Netherlands were imported into Britain.
ht_dutch_oven60_061209_ssh.jpg

dutch_oven.jpg

Ironically, the Smooth Nut Brown Ale from Midwest was the very first beer I made and it did the exact same thing to me as well. I think my problem was that i drank them too early and did not let them chill long enough. Don't drink anymore until they have been conditioned for at least 3 weeks, then chill them for at least 2 days before drinking. After the 3 week mark it wasn't a problem for me. Since then i haven't had the nearly the same effect with any of my other beers. That could be my body getting used to it or it could be partial due to that particular beer, either way it will go away with time, just keep drinking!!

Second, Do you guys also get that weird churning feeling in the gut just before the more 'prolific' moments?

That can lead to a phenomenon known as the "Golfer's Fart". That's when you fart, but then follow through. Also known as the G&L (gambled and lost).

There are only three legitimate reasons to stop drinking Home brew:

1. No more home brew left.
2. Home brew induced coma
2. Total meltdown of the rectum.

I only added the third option so that anyone that stops drinking HB simply because they fart a lot won't feel like a total fluffycat. (Even though they are) :)

It must have been something i ate that night because the gas hasnt come back after drinking them.

bad news: ive only got about 12 homebrews left of my first batch :(

You guys must not have been told The Mantra then.

Most beginning brewers get the same piece of advice from us. This advice is almost ALWAYS given after the user has posted three times in rapid succession - their first post is, in a variety of words, the current bubbles (burbles?) per minute of their airlock. Their second post is "Did I kill my yeast?" and their third post returns to obsessively counting burbles per minute, ending in some sort of question - or statement - of how they're going to try to bottle it even though the experienced brewers know that it can't conceivably be more than 50% attenuated yet and the poster will surely result in bottle bombs. At this crucial point, at which a dozen experienced brewers are all frantically posting "NO DONT DO IT!", is when The Mantra is dosed out.

Do you know which Mantra I'm talking about yet? (Hint, it's not RDW)

"Leave your primary alone and go brew a second batch! Right now, we mean it! Then once you finally bottle, condition and taste your beer, and you fall in love with your homebrew... you'll have another batch almost ready! In the meantime, Give Peace (for your yeast) A Chance!"

I love that mantra. Whenever I feel the urge to "check in" on a beer, I try to follow that advice instead.

(Huh. That must be why I'm down to my last two spare kegs right now... 6 full ones in various stages of storage... and 2 with 3-5 year old "mystery beer" in them, one with Roesalare and one with odd sour trappist beer. It's a shame to have to dump these. But I'm not about to infect my kegerator lines... :( oh the choices we have to make. Maybe LHBS has more cornies for sale??? Edit: Yep. He does. Just bought 2 more, now I have 10 kegs. Wheeeee!)

All good advice, but you have omitted one factor from the equation. I can drink a LOT of beer, but cannot get away with brewing the whole time without the missus getting the hump. This is reason number two for wanting to go AG. 10 gallon batches brewed in the garage are a lot less noticeable than one 5 gal batch on wifey's stove!.....Oh yes, I've considered all the angles. ;)

Hmm. I don't have that problem - SWMBO loves the smell of boiling wort, and actively encourages me to brew as often as possible. I'm still trying to convince her to get into winemaking or meadmaking or something. After all - who has time to make mead when there's beer to be brewed????? Isn't that what a SWMBO's job is?!?!? ;) ;)

Back