My Hefe tastes bad (follow-up)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gopher40

Reaction score
Wanted to throw this info concerning my earlier post about my Hefeweizen having a sour taste to it. When I sample the beer I pour it into small glasses for tasting. The first pour is extrememly clear, the pour clouds up as I get to the end of the bottle(expected).It is darker in color that a typical Hefe (at least darker than Widmer. It has a good nose, nothing real evident until tasting when I get that sour taste. How long should I let it sit in the bottle and give it to improve? It been in the bottle 3 weeks now.

Dont expect a hefe to store well... It tastes great FRESH. That's the first thing people say when they try my hefes, and after about a 4 or 5 weeks in bottle, kind of tastes like commercial beer. Still good. Of course I only refrigerate bottles for a day or two before drinking, so if all yours are cold, it'll stay much longer.

Also, every beer is different, every brew is different. So yours might get better in age, your carbonation level, yeast, recipe, etc, might work out better aging a bit.

My Hefe took 2 months to lose that sour flavor, wait it out, put a little orange peel in the secondary and wait it out, it will be a good beer

Latest posts

Back