My Guillotine BIAB Brew Rig!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthwoodsBrewer

Reaction score
Hello Fellow Brewers...
I have been brewing for years and was well under way in building a traditional AG Brew rig before I found BIAB site. As with most of my projects interest turns into addiction and i scrapped my previous design and started to fabricate by Guillotine rig. Wanted to play with the new concept and met a fellow brewer ho has switched with excellent results. I realize all systems have thier pro's and con's but this process seems like an interesting gamble. If all else fails I can always build another rig.

The Guillotine specs:
She will Hold a 100 QT pot which i will have set up for 10 gal batches. I am hoping with the size i will have plenty of room for some high velocity beers as well. Winch system with bag and my pot came with a strainer basket which i could use as well to releave some strain on big mashes. Have a control panel which will be set up with thermo controller for heat, pump system for sparging and chilling, Working Light, and Light stack to trigger off events so i know when burner is on or pump running, etc...
Rig will have thermo controller, 30 plate wort chiller, and March pump to circulate. simple...

Frame is fabricated, painted and ready for accessories. Control box is 1/2 wired and expect to start working with fittings soon. Any input would be appreciated as often I like the build more than the brewing.

Cheers,

NWB
:mug:

IMAG0211.jpg

IMAG0213.jpg

Hello Fellow Brewers...
I have been brewing for years and was well under way in building a traditional AG Brew rig before I found BIAB site. As with most of my projects interest turns into addiction and i scrapped my previous design and started to fabricate by Guillotine rig. Wanted to play with the new concept and met a fellow brewer ho has switched with excellent results. I realize all systems have thier pro's and con's but this process seems like an interesting gamble. If all else fails I can always build another rig.

The Guillotine specs:
She will Hold a 100 QT pot which i will have set up for 10 gal batches. I am hoping with the size i will have plenty of room for some high velocity beers as well. Winch system with bag and my pot came with a strainer basket which i could use as well to releave some strain on big mashes. Have a control panel which will be set up with thermo controller for heat, pump system for sparging and chilling, Working Light, and Light stack to trigger off events so i know when burner is on or pump running, etc...
Rig will have thermo controller, 30 plate wort chiller, and March pump to circulate. simple...

Frame is fabricated, painted and ready for accessories. Control box is 1/2 wired and expect to start working with fittings soon. Any input would be appreciated as often I like the build more than the brewing.

Cheers,

NWB

Really cool!

But with all that I would go with a traditional 3 vessel gravity system. I have done 3 gallon BIABs and it's too messy for my tastes.

WSB...
dont plan to brew rocket fule but do appreciate fatter beers... And will need the room for bigger grain bills. also allowing plent of spcae for boil overs want the gear to stay nice and clean :)

My only question is this:

You can lift the basket/grain out of the pot but then what do you do with it? You'll have to lift the basket by hand off the hook at some point to dispose of the grain, right? Or is there a swing-arm that you can lower the winch somewhere other than over the pot?

The Guillotine specs:
She will hold a 100 QT pot which I will have set up for 10 gal batches. I am hoping with the size i will have plenty of room for some high velocity beers as well. Winch system with bag and my pot came with a strainer basket which I could use as well to remove some strain on big mashes.
I'm about to build one as well, and definitely BIAB! But my winch will be on a separate gantry crane on casters. In your configuration, how can you remove your basket?

I'm taking the opportunity to ask a question. Did anyone consider inflating a gym ball inside the strainer basket to press all liquid from the spent grains in the bag? Similar to a pneumatic wine press ...

The Guillotine specs:

Cheers,

NWB
View attachment 64847
I notice you drilled holes up to the top of your strainer basket, when you lift your basket, you must lift it step by step to avoid splashing wort all around, or not? My first idea was to drill holes in the bottom and on the side up to some 5-6", what do you recommend? I just received my pot yesterday, a Ø 45cm x H 45 cm SS noodle soup pot. The brew pot is the size above, Ø 50cm x H 50cm... The small one on the picture is a Ø 40cm x H 40 cm I initially intended to use as strainer basket, but I prefer to keep it for my molasses when making some rum...
HBT 1.png
HBT 2.png

Back