My Grain Mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Briano

Reaction score
This is my homemade grain mill, 1/3 HP,1800 RPM Baldor connected to a 30:1 gearbox.I get 60 RPM on the rollers,both rollers are driving,pulling in the grains for a nice ,slow crush. 100_0408.jpg

100_0407.jpg

That's pretty sweet. You're definitely not going to win an "my ugly junk" prizes with that thing.

Gears and bronze bushings (bearings for the rollers) purchased from Mc Master Carr,rollers,and everything else made by me.

What was the price tag of this beauty? Parts only, of course. Can't put a price on a labor of love.

I knurled them on a lathe,the knurling tool was not the best and I could not get enough pressure applied to make a better knurl.In the picture you can see an O ring at the end of each roller to keep the grain dust out of the bearings.The rollers are 2" dia x 6 1/2" long.

100_1624.jpg

My brother was looking to build us a nice roller mill. I will have to show him your design to see if he can't lift a few ideas. ;)

It's only 1/3 HP,a 1/2 HP would be ideal,still makes a nice crush though.I used it a few hours ago to brew a Summer ale.

Latest posts

Back