My freezer smells toxic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trizzant

Reaction score
Just I just kegged my first bach and cold crashed it at 38 degrees in a freezer chest with a regulator. The only things in the freezer are the keg kit with CO2 tank and regulator coil. When I stick my head in the freezer it burns my eyes, nose, and throat. Is that normal? or dangerous? Is it CO2 leaking?

I don't know if it's normal, but it happens to me too when I lager in my chest freezer. It's either the CO2 escaping from carboys and getting concentrated, or it's the vodka I keep in my airlocks getting vaporized.

Edit: Just saw this thread. The one about making carbonic acid makes lots of sense: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/woha-did-just-burn-my-nose-hairs-122159/

Drop a few of the moisture bags from Lowes (or equivalent) into the freezer to keep the mold forming condensation at bay. Worked for me.

Just I just kegged my first bach and cold crashed it at 38 degrees in a freezer chest with a regulator. The only things in the freezer are the keg kit with CO2 tank and regulator coil. When I stick my head in the freezer it burns my eyes, nose, and throat. Is that normal? or dangerous? Is it CO2 leaking?

I've never noticed anything like that. Even with a fridge full of kegs and a carboy cold crashing. I would check for co2 leaks to be sure.

I've never noticed anything like that. Even with a fridge full of kegs and a carboy cold crashing. I would check for co2 leaks to be sure.

Probably because with a fridge opening the door all the CO2 would fall out, chest freezer has more of a potential for it to pool in the freezer.

Probably because with a fridge opening the door all the CO2 would fall out, chest freezer has more of a potential for it to pool in the freezer.

Ah, I read through the post a little too fast. Your probably right about the co2 pooling.

I would still check for a co2 leak just to be safe.

CO2 is more dense than air. It will sit on the bottom. I don't recommend sticking your head in there.

Just don't take a big whiff. Seen some posts of people getting light headed and their legs going wobbly from it.

Yep, I've damn near lost consciousness sticking my face into day 4 of a very active primary bucket to have a sniff.

Find that leak or your CO2 tank will be empty (if it isn't already).

Back