My first Wheat.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justinnn

Reaction score
I brewed my first wheat beer last night. First time doing a double decoction mash and I think it went well.

Recipe is as follows: (note 2.5 gallon batch)

Grain:

2.5lbs Wheat Malt
2lbs Pils (2-Row)
.5lbs Belgium Munich Malt
2oz. Flaked Wheat
2oz. Rice Hulls
4oz. Flaked Rice
1.5oz. Cara-Pils

Total = 5.6lbs

Hops:

.5 Czech Saaz (60min)
.5 Hallertauer (30min)

Flavorings:

1/2 tsp Coriander seed(crushed) (1min)
1/4 tsp Fresh Orange Zest (5min)

Yeast:

Wheinstephen Wyeast #3068

The mash went as follows:

Strike with 7gt. @127 F
Rest 30 min
Decoct 2qt bring to 167 F and rest for 20 min
Boiled for 27 min
Returned to mash tun, rest @ 150 F 20 min
Decoct 1.5qt and boil for 27 min
Return to Mash tun
Rest 60 min
Sparge with 9qt @ 168 F

Boil:
60 min
Czech Saaz - 60 min
Halletauer - 30 min
Orange zest - 5 min
Coriander Seed (crushed just before adding) 1 min

Water:
Local Farmington River Valley water
strike = 7qt
Sparge = 9qt
Total = 16qt
Grain absorption + boil off (from decoction) ~ 4qt
Pre boil Amount = 12qt
Primary = 10qt
Currently Primary @ 68 F

-Justin:tank:

ARRRGGGHHHH!!! Another one making a Belgium Wit and using German Weizen yeast.

What are you expecting? A Blue Moon or a Weizen? Both? They are totally different flavors.

Sorry, just had to rant.

Either way it'll taste good, just not to style. The Saaz hops will keep the (hop) flavor mellow. What were the AA % of the hops?

Well, depends on what you were trying to accomplish...a German Hefe Weizen or a Belgium Wit?

Your malts are OK for either one.

Using orange and coriander turns it into a Belgium Wit, so a Wit yeast should be used.

Deleteing the orange and coriander and using a German Weizen yeast makes it a Weizen. ;)

Saaz hops are generally not used in Weizens, but Hallertaus are (I use them).

Also, a Weizen generally only uses bittering hops, no other additions.

The big question is what are the AA % of the hops?

originally intended to be a belgium Witbier, I used a lot more wheat than I should have however , the grains were mixed, even though i asked for them sperate. AA% on the hops I am not sure of at the moment(i dont feel like going and looking) however I read that this yeast was a good yeast for Belgium Witbiers. Hence the reason for orange and coriander. However THe color this brew came out(probbaly due to the excess wheat) was more of a Hefe color. So next time I will want to use less wheat, ore pils, and maybe, if i can find it a white wheat. So in that aspect can you suggest a yeast to use?

-Justin

Justinnn said:
originally intended to be a belgium Witbier, I used a lot more wheat than I should have however , the grains were mixed, even though i asked for them sperate. AA% on the hops I am not sure of at the moment(i dont feel like going and looking) however I read that this yeast was a good yeast for Belgium Witbiers. Hence the reason for orange and coriander. However THe color this brew came out(probbaly due to the excess wheat) was more of a Hefe color. So next time I will want to use less wheat, ore pils, and maybe, if i can find it a white wheat. So in that aspect can you suggest a yeast to use?

-Justin

I made almost that same brew in 5 gallon batch sparge but reversed the hops. The only thing i noticed is the coriander ( i used a tablespoon) faded and was noticeable in the begining and non-existant after being in the bottle after a month.

Back