My first wheat beer tomorrow.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okiepc

Reaction score
Though I have brewed many extract kits, this is my first wheat, don't know what to expect. This is a Bavarian Hefeweizen with Safbrew WB-06 yeast & 3 ozs. Liberty hops & 6.6#s Wheat Malt extract & might be a few other additions.

Should I use a Whirlfloc tablet with this or not?

Going to do this bright and early in the morning while it is still cool, everything is already set up ready to go, plenty of ice cold water to cool things down quick.

Wish me luck :mug::rockin:

I wouldnt bother. Wheats are supposed to be hazy. What temp are you aiming to ferment at? Lower 60s will give you more clove, closer to 70 more banana

I have had incredible results using half wheat and half pilsen LME. Not as strong as a wheat taste, clears up nicely, and is very refreshing in the summer. Loved by all, even BMC drinkers.

This is a Bavarian Hefeweizen with Safbrew WB-06 yeast & 3 ozs. Liberty hops & 6.6#s Wheat Malt extract & might be a few other additions.

Should I use a Whirlfloc tablet with this or not?

I have had good luck with WB-06 fermented at 68F. It brings a very balanced hefe character to the beer. Especially if a ferulic acid rest is done.. I assume Bavarian Wheat Extract has had this treatment when originally mashed.

I have had incredible results using half wheat and half pilsen LME. Not as strong as a wheat taste, clears up nicely, and is very refreshing in the summer. Loved by all, even BMC drinkers.

I also like the 50/50 wheat/pils (or Am 2-row). I have a recipe that calls for that exactly.

Done deal, took me about 1 1/2 hours start to finish. When everything is setup and ready things go smoothly.
Final gravity was 1.056, about where it should be.
When it is ready I will post back the results. :mug: :tank:
Thanks

My hefe's would be done from boil to pouring in a glass in 10 days, 3 in the fermenator at 72ish then bottle for 1 week. I usually don't get bombs but on some brews 1 or 2 would break. Great summer beer!

My hefe's would be done from boil to pouring in a glass in 10 days, 3 in the fermenator at 72ish then bottle for 1 week. I usually don't get bombs but on some brews 1 or 2 would break. Great summer beer!

That is really quick, but I am in no hurry as my big red IPA is ready to drink, 6 gallons of it. The prettiest beer I have ever brewed, crystal clear & unbelievable red glow to it. :mug:

Sounds like you had a successful brew day! Let me know how the haziness turns out, I've tried making Hefe's several times and they annoyingly come out crystal clear.

I recently made a Blue Moon clone using the half wheat half light LME method and using the Safbrew S-33 Belgian style yeast. It's conditioning in bottles now, but the color and haziness are perfect, so far.

I only use whirlfloc on beers that are supposed to be clear. IPAs, amber ales, etc. I skip it on stouts/porters, any wheat-style beer, and lagers. The lagering process usually clarifies a beer just fine on its own.

Sounds like you had a successful brew day! Let me know how the haziness turns out, I've tried making Hefe's several times and they annoyingly come out crystal clear.

I recently made a Blue Moon clone using the half wheat half light LME method and using the Safbrew S-33 Belgian style yeast. It's conditioning in bottles now, but the color and haziness are perfect, so far.

I only use whirlfloc on beers that are supposed to be clear. IPAs, amber ales, etc. I skip it on stouts/porters, any wheat-style beer, and lagers. The lagering process usually clarifies a beer just fine on its own.

Will let you know in a couple weeks. It is coming along fine now just needs a little more time. :mug:

Back