My First Stout - Fermentation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacksonbrown

Reaction score
I just brewed my first stout two days ago, and it's going nuts right now in the primary. It's a Chocolate Imperial Stout recipe I got online. My question is now that it's clearly fermenting very rapidly (airlock is at a constant bubble), there is no foam. I'm used to seeing some foam rise in the carboy, but there is none. Would that be due to the heavier nature of the stout? Should I be concerned at all (although I don't see why I would)?
Thanks for the help, and cheers!
:mug:

Sorry, I am doing my first stout this weekend, so I can't help you, but this topic is low on the list so I will bump it for you so someone qualified on this topic can answer this.

It sounds perfect......
vigorous fermentaion w/o the foam
your temperature was not to warm when you pitched your yeast so little foam
You are regulating your fermentation temp at the right temp so little foam initially
Beers are like dogs.. they are all different and some of them foam more than others.....

jacksonbrown said:
I just brewed my first stout two days ago, and it's going nuts right now in the primary. It's a Chocolate Imperial Stout recipe I got online. My question is now that it's clearly fermenting very rapidly (airlock is at a constant bubble), there is no foam. I'm used to seeing some foam rise in the carboy, but there is none. Would that be due to the heavier nature of the stout? Should I be concerned at all (although I don't see why I would)?
Thanks for the help, and cheers!
:mug:

When I brewed my Oatmeal Stout it had lots of krausen. So much that I lost a good bit of brew through the blow-off tube. But as they say every brew is different. Give it a week or so and start taking your hydrometer readings. You will know then.

Good Luck,

Ron

Followup question - I've been hearing different things about whether or not to even bother with a secondary for the stout. Any thoughts? Is there a benefit or drawback to only using a primary for a heavy beer like this? Does it not make a difference?
Thanks!

jacksonbrown said:
Followup question - I've been hearing different things about whether or not to even bother with a secondary for the stout. Any thoughts? Is there a benefit or drawback to only using a primary for a heavy beer like this? Does it not make a difference?
Thanks!

Three weeks or so in primary is probably good. They only reason I would think to move to secondary is to help with clearing a bit. It's such a dark beer that I don't know if it is worth it. I racked my to secondary but only to make room in my carboy for the next batch.

Latest posts

Back