My first real mead, about 18 months later.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funkapottomous

Reaction score
So back in February of 2012, SWMBO's brother had asked me to make a mead for him to give to coworkers as a present. It was a 50/50 mixture of Texas blackberry and raspberry honeys.

He left the company around September and held on to all the bottles. I had pretty much forgotten about it until Christmas. He came down with one of the bottles and threw it in the freezer to chill it a bit.

Man oh man. Holy bajeezus. It was good. Damn good. Like, holy cow I can't believe this is the same stuff that I made good.

Best part about it, was that we had brought a friend with us, who had tried this mead back in the beginning of 2013, and had nothing but good things to say about it. He has a glass or twoand tells me "This is way better than that other one I tried before." Got a good laugh out of me by that point.

This is my first experience having my own stuff that's been aged for a while. Most of it never lasts.

What yeast did you use? Abv? Step-fed nutrients and aerated w/ O2? Temp controlled fermentation? Just wondering...

There's some local dude who claims to have a process where he can ferment up a batch of must and have it table ready in 2 months....bastard won't give up his technique tho, so who knows.

Hi butterpants,
Sorry that guy won't give up the recipe, but I already have. Check out the Brays One Month Mead post. I'm not saying age won't improve it, but at one month it is really, really good!

What yeast did you use? Abv? Step-fed nutrients and aerated w/ O2? Temp controlled fermentation? Just wondering...

There's some local dude who claims to have a process where he can ferment up a batch of must and have it table ready in 2 months....bastard won't give up his technique tho, so who knows.
I hate people like that. It's not something that should be kept a big secret...... not like he's the world's biggest producer and exporter etc, just using the words to make himself appear superior in some way.

prolly needs a good punch in the chops !

Hi butterpants,
Sorry that guy won't give up the recipe, but I already have. Check out the Brays One Month Mead post. I'm not saying age won't improve it, but at one month it is really, really good!

On it, thanks!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Home Brew mobile app

It was either montrachet or kuvee(spelling?). came out to about 16%? Had the sugars for 24, and the yeast was supposed to have the potential for 18%, so it's REALLY sweet.

I didn't do much other than whip it up and aerate it right before I pitched the yeast.

Back