My First Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradlyw

Reaction score
2cxukg6.png

I'm attempting to mimic Big Jamoke Porter by Marshall Brewing in Tulsa,OK
http://marshallbrewing.com/2011/09/the-big-jamoke/

Any thoughts on this recipe. I haven't done a dark beer before and want to make sure I'm on the right track.

Looks like a solid recipe. Based on Marshall's description, specifically the "toffee" part, I would suggest subbing out the American Crystal 80 for a combo of English Amber Malt and English Medium Crystal. I think the English malts give more toffee flavor. Fawcett Amber and Simpsons Medium (60L-ish) would be great together.

I forget the IBU specs of a Robust Porter, but 53 IBU seems pretty high. I like the idea of NB as a FWH, especially when you're adding NB as a late kettle addition-- you get the full spectrum of flavor from the NB that way. Perhaps keep the NB hops as-is and adjust the Magnum hops in the kettle (not FWH) to your desired IBU. Magnum will not give you much of what you desire in a FWH. It's pretty neutral (in normal dosages) and you're just wasting IBU's if Magnum is a FWH. I would say use them in the kettle only to adjust for IBU.
My $0.02.

If change the yeast to somthing english like 007 or 005 for a bit of easters. Othere then that looks good maby cut the ibu to 40

Thanks for the help all. I'm going to look at the grain swap out that was mentioned.

The IBU's were higher than most, but the only reason I went that high was because Big Jamoke is at 55 IBU.

Hopping the FWH smooths out the hop bite as opposed to a 60min add.

Brewing tomorrow, will report back.

If change the yeast to somthing english like 007 or 005 for a bit of easters. Othere then that looks good maby cut the ibu to 40

+1 on the bittering reduction.

One other recommendation, though.
Get the mash pH balanced first. Treat your water with a bit of sodium bicarb because the darker malts will bump up the acidity a bit. Add some gypsum and calcium chloride and you're good to go. With porters and stouts, you don't want a badly converted mash to result in a thin wort, especially if you want to bump the hops up just above minimum for the style.

Latest posts

Back