My first PBR

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kornbread

Reaction score
Ok, I'm 40 years old and I've never had a Pabst Blue Ribbon. I've been trying a lot of new styles of beer lately trying to broaden my beer knowledge. I've been spending a good deal of money on imports and micro brews.

But, last night I stopped at a gas station on the way home. And, as I made my usual lap by the beer cooler to see what they had to offer, I noticed 24oz cans of PBR for $1.29.

Then It hit me: This little can is chocked full of "Americana". And, I've never even tasted it. I remember growing up next door to a farmer who bought these things by the case. He didn't want his wife to know that he drank beer. So he would hide PBR Tallboys around the farm. He'd be riding his tractor and get thirsty. Then he'd park under one of his secret shade trees and pull the tabs off a few "hot ones". We used to shoot the empties with our BB Guns until eventually someone would cut a heel on one of the pull tabs and would have to limp home.

Standing there in front of the beer cooler I thought to myself: If he loved 'em hot, how bad can they be cold? And the price definitely was right. So, I headed to the counter with one in hand and I actually caught myself looking around to see if anyone who knew me might be in the store. What did I have to be ashamed of?

The guy behind the counter slipped it into a "beer bag" for me. I'm not sure what these little bags were designed for, But they seem to be custom made for a single PBR Tallboy. When I got home I plopped my tired behind into the old lazy boy, rolled the brown paper bag down a little, popped the top, and had my first sip of an American Classic.

Not too bad.

If only they still had pull tabs...

:mug:

Good ol' PBR!! I've drank barrels of the stuff at Punkrock shows growing up!!
It was always the cheapest beer at the shows, and so it gained BIG street cred with us punks- metal heads, hippies, farmers, my dad, you, everyone has had one... Or a thousand!! Congrats, on your purchase af a true American classic. Thank god, I homebrew and don't "have" to drink it anymore. I'll still buy if I'm at a good show though!!!:rockin:

I'm not sure what these little bags were designed for

Brown bags are designed for 'plausible deniability', where drinking on public property is illegal. This allows for selective enforcement, since that might just be an RC Cola in the bag.

2 dollar PBRs are my "goto" beer after Hockey at one of the sports bars in town...they're not bad at all...and if they warm a bit (not room temp) just left for a bit, you get a bit of banana ester and some corniness to it...If you like those flavor profiles in other beers, (I do) it's nice.

PBR is my go-to cheap beer. If I want to have something fizzy and not get drunk, it's PBR. It's cheap, not terrible, and I always keep it in the fridge.

This reminds of of this party I had. I love PBR and If Im barbequing or whatever I always keep a 12 pack for myself stashed somewhere. There was another brewer hwo came over from here in town who will remain nameless for the time being. He tried to get all beer snoberish on me when he saw the PBR in the fridge. He said, "I should take a picture of that and post on the forums, you and your cheap ass piss water" But he neglected to mention anything about the Bud Light in there too that someone else had brought. I mean come on, if you're going to go EAC, at least know what you're talking about. Compared to Bud Light, PBR is top shelf IMHO.

PBR is my go to cheap beer. I always bought it in college because for some reason people would steal busch light but they wouldn't drink PBR.

I don't understand why PBR has the reputation it does around here.

I'm in the best cheap beer camp.

Had my first PBR this summer on a canoe trip reluctantly. Had a case of Bud light too. The bud light was given away and I bought more PBR.

If I'm not drinking homebrew, then there's a good 75% chance I'm drinking PBR. It doesn't wow you with flavor, but it drinks real well, and is perfect for washing down almost any meal. Of course, one of it's most prized quailities is the low, low price.

+1 on the PBR. It is the only BMC that I will usually drink. They do not have that weird chemical funkiness that other BMC's do. It is truly a great beer and they even support the Arts. PBR sponsors an Art competition here in Denver...Tre Shic this PBR is

$2 PBR is my go to cheap bar beer also. I even have a blue metal electric guitar PBR keychain/bottle opener. Also works well with beer can chicken.

If I need river beer (no glass allowed), it's PBR or Tecate depending on what the store has. I definitely like the PBR better than Tecate, but that's like saying I like getting poked in the eye better than getting punched in the nose. Haven't had it for at least 2 years tho...maybe I should get a tall boy and bounce it off these homebrew-addicted tastebuds of mine.

If I need river beer (no glass allowed), it's PBR or Tecate depending on what the store has. I definitely like the PBR better than Tecate, but that's like saying I like getting poked in the eye better than getting punched in the nose. Haven't had it for at least 2 years tho...maybe I should get a tall boy and bounce it off these homebrew-addicted tastebuds of mine.

Tecate in the can is great in really divy mexican joints. It's one of the few times I actually drink beer with fruit...I love jamming a lime wedge down inside the can...

We used to drink $1 cans of PBR at a bar in college during shows.
PBR has a whole life of it's own. Like mentioned above, it was your dad's beer, your grandpa's beer, and it also has a special niche in the rocker crowd and the hippie crowd. Kinda brings all worlds together. It's the only BMC that has flavor. It's new school, it's country, it's rock, it's punk, and god forbid even "extreme". You have to keep some. I have part of a case left in my garage from a music festival last June. It'll probably get drank eventually. It definitely has it's place.

We used to drink $1 cans of PBR at a bar in college during shows.
PBR has a whole life of it's own. Like mentioned above, it was your dad's beer, your grandpa's beer, and it also has a special niche in the rocker crowd and the hippie crowd. Kinda brings all worlds together. It's the only BMC that has flavor. It's new school, it's country, it's rock, it's punk, and god forbid even "extreme". You have to keep some. I have part of a case left in my garage from a music festival last June. It'll probably get drank eventually. It definitely has it's place.

If you don't have a job writing liner notes...you should seriously think about it. It<sniff>...it, that's beautiful man!

I don't know guys... when I buy cheap beer it almost always ends up being Miller High Life. I've never seen PBR around these parts in 30 packs, and the value is hard to beat. We're stepping very far from real quality products, though.

I went into a bar in NJ two years ago during a business trip. This guy walks up and gives the bartender fifty cents and orders a PBR on tap.
What the heck? PBR? They still brew that? I hadn't drank, seen nor heard about PBR in more than 20 years.
Anyway, last month my wife and I went to one of our favorite restaurants and guess what they have on tap now - 1 local brew, 2 Micro's and 1 PBR. Sounds like it is making a comeback.
Guess I'll have to have one the next time we go there.

I don't know guys... when I buy cheap beer it almost always ends up being Miller High Life. I've never seen PBR around these parts in 30 packs, and the value is hard to beat. We're stepping very far from real quality products, though.

High Life and PBR are my go-to summer BBQ brews. Just make sure you buy High Life in cans. A 12-pack of the clear bottles skunk faster then a hooker.

I can put down Miller Lite like the stuff is going out of style. About 15 longnecks will get me all kinds of ripped for the night.

The only beer I remember from my youth (early 80's) was Genesee. My grandfather always had a case or two of Genny in his coal room. When I was college a bar would have 10 cent Genny drafts on Wednesday night. For some reason I was the only one that would take them up on the offer.

Gosh, i love PBR!! my absolute favorite cheap beer. Especially when it's raging hot outside, and the PBR is so cold it's almost a beer-siccle!! MMMMMM soo good

however, though she be a serious beer lover, SWMBO absolutely despises PBR, so we don't get much of it around here...

Heck, one of the worker bee's at LHBS even brew's what he calls a Double PBR. Freaking tasteeeeyyyyyy! Brewed as an ale, looks and taste similar to lager and packs a bit o' punch at 7%ABV

PBR.jpg
Been drinking it for over 30 yrs. I'm afraid it's gaining popularity though, and that means "ching-ching" hope not!

Back