my first mash tun!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BK_856er

Reaction score
What do you guys think?

5gal rubbermaid.

1/2" copper tubing, hacksaw cuts at 1/4" pitch, cleaned with PBW followed by vinegar. Rotated one section to show the cuts (not soldered).

The stout Brewers Hardware bulkhead looks like it'll work great! Held hot water just fine with no sign of leakage. Threaded 1/2" silicone tubing into the fitting because a barbed end won't quite clear the manifold. Plenty of clearance for the 1/2" ball-valve.

BK

IMG_2368_001.jpg

IMG_2370.jpg

Nice set-up..!! I'm ruminating ideas for my first tun and I really like the looks of that.. gotta update us on how it works.

Now... go get it dirty..!

Just a thought... be sure to secure the silicon tube to the copper with a nylon zip tie or something... it'd be a bugger if that popped loose during the mash 8-l

Just a thought... be sure to secure the silicon tube to the copper with a nylon zip tie or something... it'd be a bugger if that popped loose during the mash 8-l

That was exactly my plan!

The corners of the copper assembly are snug against the interior of the cooler, so the main assembly is rock solid.

BK

That was exactly my plan!

The corners of the copper assembly are snug against the interior of the cooler, so the main assembly is rock solid.

BK

1/2" silicone, pushed onto 1/2" copper will NOT come off under normal use, no need for a zip tie of sorts. Instead of hard piping all my valve dip tubes on my brew sculpture i opted to use silicone hose for ease of use. When silicone gets wet...it get's sticky. Ask anyone who has Oakley sunglasses, when they sweat those glasses stick more than if they were dry. Same thing with the hose.

Just started the boil on Jamil's Evil Twin.

Manifold and fittings worked awesome! I slightly crimped the 90 degree "street" fitting with pliers for security and deemed the silicone hose slip-fit onto the copper tubing to be rock solid. Didn't use any zipties or clamps.

Conditioned the grains with 2% water and milled at 0.037 gap. Used a batch sparge technique. Runnings came clear quickly. Flow was great. No leaks. What more can I ask for? Good equipment makes all the difference.

Thrilled with my new setup!

BK

Back