My first Lagering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

ApolloSpeed

Reaction score
Well, I'm about done with my Lager I think.....I didn't use a true Lager yeast, cause this was my first time trying the Lager process. I went with Nottingham.

6.00 lb Munich Malt
2.00 lb Pilsner Ger
1.00 lb Caramunich
1.00 lb Wheat, RED
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
1.00 oz Tettnang [3.80 %] (60 min) Hops 11.1 IBU
0.25 oz Challenger [7.10 %] (60 min) Hops 5.2 IBU
0.25 oz Tettnang [3.80 %] (5 min) Hops 0.6 IBU
0.75 lb Dextrose "I needed to the alcohol content..I missed my number"
1 Pkg Nottingham

OG=1046

I let it ferment in my outside sink with frozen 2L bottles....I kept a pretty constant temp of 53-56f. for 9 days. Fermentation was finished, and I let it sit another 5 days at 56-59f.

I brought it up to 60f on day 14....and took a sample and a reading. FG=1006

And it tasted great!!! Nice and malty! Wayyy maltier than the last time I used Nottingham at 70f.:ban:

My question is what do I do now? Keg it?

Mutilated1

Beer Drenched Executioner
Reaction score
Its probably maltier because of that 6lbs of Munich you used.

You didn't really lager your beer, you just did a good job at keeping your fermentation temperature under control.

If you really want to "lager" it, then rack it off the yeast into a clean carboy and put it away in the fridgerator or keezer for a month or so, and get that temp down really low like 34-35F - basically just above freezing. Or you could do like you said and just go ahead and keg it and enjoy.

Congrats on the successful brew.

OP
ApolloSpeed

ApolloSpeed

Reaction score
So,could I keg it and let it sit in the frig for a while?? a few weeks or something like that.... Under pressure or no?

Mutilated1

Beer Drenched Executioner
Reaction score
Sure you could do that. I'm not sure what difference lagering the beer will make if you didn't use a lager yeast to begin with though. Go ahead and keg it and drink it if you're happy with how it tastes. I'd be tempted to lager it a few weeks in a secondary if for no other reason than to let it clear and crash as much of the yeast out as possible - I don't care for yeasty beer personally.

DeathBrewer

Maniacally Malty
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I often will keg beers and then lager them in the keg for a while before drinking them.

Lagering is not required for ales, but will definitely improve any beer, creating a smoothness and removing any off flavors. Basically, things "fall out" when it's cold, speeding up the conditioning process.

That should be a damn good beer.